Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LG Style Front Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011 | 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrencher
I would like a stronger front control arm set offered just for the added ability to modify the alignment. Those are the benefits I would want.
Some want weight savings others alignment options.
I want both!!!
Old 02-25-2011 | 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, I'll buy a set of the UMI ones if they come out. I've been trying to find a used set of the LG's for years.
Old 02-25-2011 | 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Not really sure why a street car would need these. They really would be for people who want to run a -2.0 or greater camber (road course, autox, etc.)... Camber like that on a street car just means your local tire shop will love you.
Old 02-25-2011 | 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Not really sure why a street car would need these. They really would be for people who want to run a -2.0 or greater camber (road course, autox, etc.)... Camber like that on a street car just means your local tire shop will love you.
Yeah, but some of these cars are tweaked from years of abuse. It took the alignment shop (a GM dealership) 6 hours to get my car back to factory specs. If I would have had my k member and arms it would have been a fraction of that time. And none of the bolts were seized, it just didn't want to go into where it was suppose to go. And then its still not right IMO.

So this time around I hope all of the UMI pieces will get my alignment right as well as save some weight and tighten everything back up, and that is worth it to me
Old 02-25-2011 | 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Need... You know as well as I do that it's all about Want!
Deep down, I don't think most of what we all come here for is about need; it's about are wants!
Sharper turn-in, lighter weight, and it looks a lot better then the factory lower A-arms, is reason enough for most to buy them.
Old 02-25-2011 | 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Yeah, but some of these cars are tweaked from years of abuse. It took the alignment shop (a GM dealership) 6 hours to get my car back to factory specs. If I would have had my k member and arms it would have been a fraction of that time. And none of the bolts were seized, it just didn't want to go into where it was suppose to go. And then its still not right IMO.

So this time around I hope all of the UMI pieces will get my alignment right as well as save some weight and tighten everything back up, and that is worth it to me
Interesting. I haven't been taking into account cars that have damage and/or a twisted chassis...

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Need... You know as well as I do that it's all about Want!
Deep down, I don't think most of what we all come here for is about need; it's about are wants!
Sharper turn-in, lighter weight, and it looks a lot better then the factory lower A-arms, is reason enough for most to buy them.
Yeah, the lowers I would buy if they are essentially as strong as stock (almost all of them out right now have a problem with the shock mounts bending). The uppers I'm not really sure I'd need as I prefer to not change rod ends out all the time, and don't need to run excessive negative camber, and prefer the lighter weight of the stock piece of stamped steel.
Old 02-25-2011 | 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
What is the application for your car? Street?
This car see's it all. Corner carving, drag, and mostly street in the Summer monthes.
Old 02-26-2011 | 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting. I haven't been taking into account cars that have damage and/or a twisted chassis...
My car has never been in an accident, but it has to be tweaked in some sort of way, unless the mess of aftermarket stuff I have thrown at it messed it up in some way.

But either way I'll be ordering a set of chromo a-arms and k member from UMI in a couple weeks, unless these new arms strike my interest, but I think I'll stick with the tubular arms. They just look badass IMO, especially when they are there instead of some rusty *** stock arms
Old 02-28-2011 | 07:15 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Subscribing. Been runnning BMR's upper and lower's for almost 8 yrs w/ rod ends and not a peep. This setup has seen many laps at the Nurburgring, Hockenheim, the autobahn and plenty a country back road in Germany...and if anyone has ever been there, they have some roads that would kill factory suspensions if taken incorrectly. Don't know why people shy away from rod ends, my entire car runs spherical bushings...can't imagine anything less and most who ride in the car never know the wiser.

W/ that said, I'd be on for a set of these A-arms if produce. Been wanting the LG style arms ever since they came out and was too cheap at the time to get them when the were in production.
Old 02-28-2011 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SRZ
Subscribing. Been runnning BMR's upper and lower's for almost 8 yrs w/ rod ends and not a peep. This setup has seen many laps at the Nurburgring, Hockenheim, the autobahn and plenty a country back road in Germany...and if anyone has ever been there, they have some roads that would kill factory suspensions if taken incorrectly. Don't know why people shy away from rod ends, my entire car runs spherical bushings...can't imagine anything less and most who ride in the car never know the wiser.

W/ that said, I'd be on for a set of these A-arms if produce. Been wanting the LG style arms ever since they came out and was too cheap at the time to get them when the were in production.
Really??? I have run them for a while I can sure as hell hear them, and feel them. I have them in my current rear suspension, and am thinking about running alinabal iso link's, seals-it sealflex ends, or maybe go back to a regular rubber bushing instead.
Old 02-28-2011 | 11:17 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Really??? I have run them for a while I can sure as hell hear them, and feel them. I have them in my current rear suspension, and am thinking about running alinabal iso link's, seals-it sealflex ends, or maybe go back to a regular rubber bushing instead.
Really. Car is dead quiet and no rattles when hitting bumps etc. I know they're supposed to be changed every 2-3 yrs but I'm still on the original ones. Keep em' cleaned and lubed well w/ liquid wrench.
Old 03-01-2011 | 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

UMI Where you at??? I am SERIOUSLY interested in these!

I have a few track days coming up too if you want to send me a set to demo...
Old 03-21-2011 | 10:38 AM
On The Tree

I spoke with Ryan Friday and he said pictures should be posted within the next couple of days and the prototypes should be ready in ~2weeks.
Old 03-21-2011 | 10:45 AM
On The Tree

It all depends on the link quality/design, how clean and lubricated you can keep them, as well as the manufacturer. I've had the best luck with the QA1 XM heims, they are chrome moly and teflon lined. They very rarely make noise, the ride is a little more harsh from direct vibrational translation into the body but that just comes with the territory

I would also recommend the UMI roto-joint, looks very promising!
Old 03-21-2011 | 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

I live in the North East, where a good road is as smooth as a wash board, and am very picky about ride quality.
Old 03-21-2011 | 11:25 AM
On The Tree

The iso links would be ideal then for the IRS trailing arm-body connection as well as the front link of the front lower control arm, however I would still run a the roto-joint for the rear link of the front lower control arm in your case. This would give you improved ride quality as well as better longevity out of the joints, this would seem to me the best compromise out of both worlds in your case.

I can't wait to see what UMI has for us though!
Old 03-25-2011 | 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Moar!
Old 03-28-2011 | 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

Here is one proto-type picture I have so far. I will be able to get a few pictures shortly of a completed, coated and assembled arm but this gives you an idea of the design.

Thank you,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails LG Style Front Control Arms?-2309.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011 | 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks beefy!
So any updates on the 1" lowering, front lower A-arms?
Old 03-28-2011 | 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed.

This could get interesting.

Quick Reply: LG Style Front Control Arms?