Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another Koni/Strano Believer..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
I don't know if this is a true fact at all, but F-Bodies leaning to the right is a common problem. I have the same issue on stock springs ATM. I have read various things that could be the culprit, from a design flaw or Pontiac trying to compensate for the weight of the driver when they sit in the car. I have even heard of drivers switching their right side springs, to the left, and the left on the right side and it still leans to the right!?

Either way, it is annoying, but barely noticeable to anyone but the owner.
Its true.. 99% of f-bodies I've seen lean to the right.. My guess would be to compensate for drivers weight as you mentioned. It doesnt involve shocks or springs, since even after swtiching to aftermarket equipment, it still leans. It has to do with the mounting points of the components would be my guess
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
Thanks. Mine just came in. How do I adjust these shocks?
Did you get the 4/4's or the 4/3's? I have the 4/3's and the fronts are easy to adjust, stick an alan wrench in the small hole and sweep it to the right (for firmer setting) or to the left (for softer setting) There should be about 8 sweeps from left all the way to the right. The rears, if they're the 4/4's, I would think would be the same. I know w/ the 3rd Gen rears, there are 3 pre-sets, if i remember right, and there is a button you push down to rotate to the next setting. Again, I believe to the left is full soft, and turning to the right will stiffen the settings.

If i'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by egott_91
Did you get the 4/4's or the 4/3's? I have the 4/3's and the fronts are easy to adjust, stick an alan wrench in the small hole and sweep it to the right (for firmer setting) or to the left (for softer setting) There should be about 8 sweeps from left all the way to the right. The rears, if they're the 4/4's, I would think would be the same. I know w/ the 3rd Gen rears, there are 3 pre-sets, if i remember right, and there is a button you push down to rotate to the next setting. Again, I believe to the left is full soft, and turning to the right will stiffen the settings.

perfect thanks. Yeah I saw the allen key hole just wanted to be sure thats how you adjust them. I will pull the dust cover down on the rears and see if there is a button to adjust them.

Also mine came with alot of hardware. Did you use any of it or just what came on the shocks?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

perfect thanks. Yeah I saw the allen key hole just wanted to be sure thats how you adjust them. I will pull the dust cover down on the rears and see if there is a button to adjust them.

Also mine came with alot of hardware. Did you use any of it or just what came on the shocks?
Yeah, the button will be under the dust cover for the rears, and the fronts should be marked w/ a "+" for firm and "-" for soft. I know that I used the bushings for the rear, but I can't remember if I used anything else...
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice looking stance
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Launching!

There's techinically 4 settings: 0,1,2,3... 0 being the softest, 3 being the firmest. Other than that, everything is correct.

I'd set the rears at full soft to start with.. (press the button and turn all the way counterclockwise. You should use most of the hardware: on a sidenote, per recommendation of Sam, get some lock washers and nuts to replace the locknuts that come with the large (~2") washers for the fronts. This will prevent the shaft from spinning when reassembling the front assembly.
The rear bushings are press sealed so that hardware is also necessary as mentioned.

Last edited by nichoLaS1; 03-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

quick pic for adjusting the rears..

Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

man yours looks nice and level compared to mine. and its lower on the driver side? wtf... i need to get under there and maybe swap rear springs. and make sure the previous owner didnt put the isolators back in. rear sits way to high for stranos and my liking.

amazing bird you got there. love the color combo with those rims! i want a set myself in 18x10.5 all around. just cant decide on chrome or black!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BowTieDrifter
man yours looks nice and level compared to mine. and its lower on the driver side? wtf... i need to get under there and maybe swap rear springs. and make sure the previous owner didnt put the isolators back in. rear sits way to high for stranos and my liking.

amazing bird you got there. love the color combo with those rims! i want a set myself in 18x10.5 all around. just cant decide on chrome or black!
Thanks.. fyi I still have isolators on the back, you'll prob be hittin your bumpstops a lot more w/o them..... different note, 10.5" wheel is pretty big up front IMHO.. I dont see why you'd need more than a 275 tire up front, 295 (which would make more sense on a 10.5" wheel) would be pushing it.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nichoLaS1
quick pic for adjusting the rears..

thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind when installing
Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nichoLaS1
Thanks.. fyi I still have isolators on the back, you'll prob be hittin your bumpstops a lot more w/o them..... different note, 10.5" wheel is pretty big up front IMHO.. I dont see why you'd need more than a 275 tire up front, 295 (which would make more sense on a 10.5" wheel) would be pushing it.
yeah i would run a 275 at most. i have offset bushings so i can fit a bit more under the fender. mostly just want more lip and get the edge of the rim as close as i can to the fender.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Launching!

yeah i would run a 275 at most. i have offset bushings so i can fit a bit more under the fender. mostly just want more lip and get the edge of the rim as close as i can to the fender.
Two things, you cant fit a 275 tire on a 10.5" wheel (285 is the smallest that'll fit. Second: I'm not too familiar with the offset bushings, but i dont think you cant fit a 10.5" wide wheel up front. I may be wrong on this though, hopefully someone else will chime in.. At any rate, i'd look into different offset of the wheels if youre looking for more lip.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...must-read.html
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

There have been a couple of ppl on here that have done 10.5" C5 DD all the way around.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Launching!

There have been a couple of ppl on here that have done 10.5" C5 DD all the way around.
I stand corrected, my apologies.. Good luck BowTie, it'd look killer if you pulled it off
Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

um i've had 225 on a 18x10.5 on my 240sx.
you can put whatever you want as long as it will stretch.
i wont go lower than a 255 on the front of a camaro though. need all the grip you can with that much weight in front.

trust me, i will make **** fit. i've been doing VERY aggressive wheel fitment for a long time. i honestly think the camaro crowd is very modest/conservative when it comes to wheel fitment. thanks for the words of caution though. i know you are just trying to help.

not to thread jack but here is a pic of said 240 (silvia in japan) with 245's on 18x10.5 in the rear

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Launching!

um i've had 225 on a 18x10.5 on my 240sx.
you can put whatever you want as long as it will stretch.
i wont go lower than a 255 on the front of a camaro though. need all the grip you can with that much weight in front.

trust me, i will make **** fit. i've been doing VERY aggressive wheel fitment for a long time. i honestly think the camaro crowd is very modest/conservative when it comes to wheel fitment. thanks for the words of caution though. i know you are just trying to help.

not to thread jack but here is a pic of said 240 (silvia in japan) with 245's on 18x10.5 in the rear
Once again i stand corrected, my apologies. I'll shut up now lol
Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am a believer in the Strano/Koni gospel. LOL.

But in all seriousness I bought the Single Adjustable 4/4 set from Strano. Had the front shocks set at 3 sweeps from soft and kept the rears at full soft.

On stock springs the ride is amazing. I also bought Continental DW tires and I think that made a huge difference as well.

Car also has welded SFC's and it is like having a whole new car.

I don't get how people don't notice a huge difference. They must not be pushing their cars too hard to notice.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

I will hopefully chime in Monday as I'm going to try and install my konis 4/3 this weekend. I will also be on stock springs but will be using the lower perch mod for fronts and hose mod for the rears. My plan is to turn the fronts to half and the rears to 1 sweep from full soft.
I'll post before and after pics and well to give ideas for others.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I have 17x11 zr1 replicas with 315 tires up front, but it needed slight modification to fit. Nothing too crazy though
Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Launching!

I will hopefully chime in Monday as I'm going to try and install my konis 4/3 this weekend. I will also be on stock springs but will be using the lower perch mod for fronts and hose mod for the rears. My plan is to turn the fronts to half and the rears to 1 sweep from full soft.
I'll post before and after pics and well to give ideas for others.
good luck with the install.. post some pics

Quick Reply: Another Koni/Strano Believer..