Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

horrible when hitting bumps after m9 install??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horrible when hitting bumps after m9 install??

I installed a new moser9in awhile back. Sportlines, new kyb agx's all the way around. Umi adj torgue arm. When I hit bumps on the highways, or around town. It feels like the rear hatch glass is gunna explode the rear sus hits so hard. With the rear shocks set at max ( 8 ). It has the best ride. And it isn't as harsh when hitting bumps. I've got a pretty good vibe at 80mph. Also. And the pinion angle is about as dead nuts as it gets..... any advise tward an area of issue would be great..... thanks stunna
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe the Moser's need to have the tunnel clearanced some, and most guys just install it and let it clearance it's self by normal banging and what not. As for the vibration, I'd double check the pinion angle. You did set it with the car flat on the ground and the suspension loaded right? Try -2 instead of 0 (if 0 is what you meant by "dead nuts")
Old 03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Is the torque arm hitting or are you bump stops banging when you hit a bump? If it's the torque arm, take it off and push/hammer in the area where it's hitting. If you are talking about the bump stops, you need some better shocks.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

my 9" was hitting the torque arm bracket/on top of pumpkin/bump stops, had to get out the big hammer. I am/was lowered 1 3/4 " ( with springs)around, became nessary to rase rear about 3/8 " by adding heater hose to rear springs
" just get out the hammer" Johnny
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is most likely the rear of the torque arm hitting the tunnel area like the others mentioned.

The Moser 9" is much larger than factory rear end pushing the torque arm mount to the drivers side, the torque arm is much larger than factory and the car is lowered extremely low. So basically with all of this the body is almost sitting on the torque arm.

I recommend looking at using the inner set of holes on the torque arm, this will help gain some more clearance. With the Moser 9" you shoudn't have to cut the bracket at all... it should slide in. Also like mentioned use a hammer and add some clearance for the torque arm to travel. You want to also consider a set of different lowering springs to help as well.

I hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn't rocket science - you stuffed a huge rear end under your car that is being suspended with Eibach Sportlines. The Sportlines themselves will cause nothing but headaches since you will be riding on the bump stops at all times due to how much they lower everything, and that will cause your harsh ride with the jarring over bumps (that's how you know you are hitting the bump stops). Better shocks won't even really help, although getting some that can control that unsprung weight better might be a step in the right direction.

You either need to raise the rear back up with a different set of springs, ditch the bump stops (not recommended), or learn to live with it.

As for the torque arm suggestions - correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Moser M9 use a different design torque arm (one that attaches directly to the top of the pumpkin)? That would rule out the arm hitting the driveshaft tunnel if so...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Launching!

ill reposition the diff on the closer bolt holes on the torque arm. and gett out the hammer. if i had some spare cash, id probly ditch the sportlines for a
better set of lowering springs... im gunna play around with it weds,
thanks for the recommendations..... stunna

Quick Reply: horrible when hitting bumps after m9 install??