Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Can you replace master cylinder reservoir without bleeding the brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you replace master cylinder reservoir without bleeding the brakes?

Can you replace the master cylinder reservoir without needing the bleed the brakes? I want to make sure it's safe before doing so. If you use a baster, as long as you remove fluid only from the reservoir and don't stick it further down into the holes of the cylinder itself, no air will get into the cylinder? If so, is there anything I missed or would that do it?

I know you should use something to remove the fluid from the reservoir and then there are 2 rol pins that need to be pushed out. Pry up a bit on the reservoir and it'll pop off.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try it, if need you may gravity bleed at point where the lines comnnect to master cylinder
>>> becarefull, remenber what brake fluid will do to paint<<<
Johnny
Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If youre just removing the brake reservoir itself i dont see why it would be a problem. Ive replaced two reservoirs on different vehicles whithout removing the master cylinder. I also did not have to bleed the system afterwards which made the job got a lot faster, i would go ahead and try it.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I did mine this way. Park the car on level ground and then suction out most of the fluid from the old reservoir. Just leave a little in the bottom. You will notice that the reservoir has two "pipes" molded that fit into the holes on the MC and have the O-rings. When you pull the reservoir there will still be fluid in those holes on the MC, and you can then install the new reservoir. Then just fill it up.

The only real thing to watch out for is dripping brake fluid all over the engine compartment, so put down some old rags or shop towels or something. Oh and the crappy plastic turkey baster I bought when I did mine was not compatible with brake fluid and halfway through started to crack into a zillion pieces A syringe like from a farm supply store is better.

Edit: I don't know why I replied to this thread, sorry for bumping up an old one.

Quick Reply: Can you replace master cylinder reservoir without bleeding the brakes?