Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

setting ride height on strange shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default setting ride height on strange shocks

having trouble finding a definitive answer for this...

so i got a set of strange SA shocks /w 300lb springs for up front and i'm just looking for some sort of guide for getting the ride height level with minimal fuss. looks like they 'settle' after you adjust them... do you really have to drive it around, or can you just put the car back on the ground for a few mins? how much do they settle?

is there some easy way to guestimate the height adjustment before i install them on the car? it looks like a pain to turn that adjustment nut after they are installed. i got the BMR 1" lowering a-arms for the front, and BMR rear springs (which they state is a 1.25" drop), so i should only need the strange shocks to be 0.25" shorter than the stock setup, right?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly you are just going to have to play with the spring adjuster on the shock. I found that if you bounce the suspension up and down in the front and the suspension will settle nicely. It is going to probably take a few tries and adjustments to get the stance where you want it since there is no real way to measure the new shock setup off the old setup.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah you are just going to have to fiddle until you get it right.
the math you stated would make sense except one thing: different spring rates.
with stock springs, the total length would be longer and then compressed more under load (car down on its wheels) that it would with the increased rate of your new springs. new springs would need a shorter overall length, and would compress less under load.

goo dluck and post pics when you are done! i am REALLY interested in getting a set of those BMR lower arms!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they are saying above, you have to just take time to set it to what you think looks around what you like, drive it around look and see if thats where you want it or if one sides higher or lower than the other then do it over again. Thats what I had to do but its not hard if you get some dry lube and spray it on the shocks. I used liquid wrench dry lube and just sprayed the shocks completely where the adjuster would turn up and down and it helped ALOT! I did get my dry spots where I had to put some strength into it but it did move.

Quick Reply: setting ride height on strange shocks