Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

caster after strano springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caster after strano springs?

bought my car with strano/koni setup. great stuff.
but i noticed while admiring my newly acquired ride that the front wheels looked oddly off center in the front wheel wells. caster is way closer to the firewall, and explains the occasional rubbing (while turning) i hear on the rearmost part of the inner fender plastic, right up against the firewall.

is this common after strano springs are installed? it was aligned when it was all finished, but i am curious if there was no caster adjustment done since i have read that most places "dont do it because they either cant afford the tool or just dont like doing it on the f-body".

opinions/advice/experience/help?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 891 Likes on 634 Posts

Have you had it aligned?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Make sure upper control arms are on the correct sides of the car. The upper ball joint is not centered in the upper control arm. The upper control arm ends up looking like a 'D' instead of a semi-circle. So if the installer put them on the wrong sides of the car, the wheels wont be centered in the wheel well anymore because the ball joint locates the spindle. If memory serves me correctly the ball joint should be towards the firewall on the upper control arm if that makes sense.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

liljay,
is this common after strano springs are installed? it was aligned when it was all finished...
yes it was aligned.

Karp, that might be the problem since the previous owner installed offset a-arm bushings, and may have confused right/left when putting them back on.

add tot he list of "little things" that need correcting...
ah, the joys of buying somebody else's project lol

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 891 Likes on 634 Posts

Sorry I didn't see you said it was aligned in your post.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=BowTieDrifter;14619895]".......was aligned when it was all finished, but i am curious if there was no caster adjustment done since i have read that most places "dont do it because they either cant afford the tool or just dont like doing it on the f-body".

after lowering ,some times there may not be enough adjustment to get a perfect setting, but should get it close, not hard to adjust caster and camber on f-body with or without the "tool" easy to pry the adjustment around with a screw driver/pry bar. if tires are set back as you say I would thinh the caster would be very - and cause the car to dart and wander the road ar high speeds.
( I am lowered 1 3/4 -2" around and can get VERY close to OE specs, have no problem centering front wheels in fender)
I do not remenber if it is possable to switch the upper control arms or not.
look at yours and at another f-body
good luck,Johnny

Quick Reply: caster after strano springs?