Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake pedal firm but not much braking (in rain)....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default brake pedal firm but not much braking (in rain)....

had contamination and a dead pedal recently i swapped the master and flushed and filled with fresh dot3 synthetic fluid. Pedal is good now (doesnt sink) but last few days its been raining and Ive noticed under hard braking the car doesnt want to stop as easy. Pedal is firm and doesnt sink but I have to give it a little more 'push' to slow down.

Does this sound like brake pads? I have no clue what craptastic pads the previous owner probably installed. I havent decided to just swap them because they have lots of life left and i couldnt decide wether or not to keep the car but Im going to just swap them soon.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In all honesty, if the car has OE style pads and rotors, that's just the way it is....

For some reason, at least with the LT1 cars, GM produced a car capable of 145-150 MPH, right off the showroom floor, but equipped it with 80 MPH brakes.

I have a '96 Z-28, bought it brand new, and I've never been overly impressed with the brakes, although I stepped up to Porterfield Racing, HP street compound pads. If you have to deal with a lot of rain, I'd consider slotted (but not drilled) rotors.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car has decent powerslot rotors on it that hold up well. No warping yet and I work the brakes pretty hard when Im late for work incl a nice steep downhill offramp that i hit 80-90 mph on into the brakes every morning.

my previous car to this was an 01 and i replaced the stock brakes with cheapo gm delco pads and rotors and the initial bite and response was much better than this although they faded really fast when pushed hard. Its amazing how different the 2 cars feel.

im going to rebleed when i swap my wheels back on and change the pads to some green street compound right after see if it helps.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brakes on the 94 I had were bad about washing out in the rain (similar to what your are saying)...might just be that.

These cars aren't the best in rain. lol
Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an lt1 the stock brakes are worthless. C5 brakes were by far the best mod I did to my car.

Quick Reply: brake pedal firm but not much braking (in rain)....