Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Panhard bar

Here soon after I get the funds together I'm looking to get shocks and lowering springs for my car. My question is do I have to get an adj panhard bar? From looking around on here there are people who say that it is an absolute necessity, but at the same time there just as many people who just put on the springs and shocks go get an allignment and call it a day. I'm not looking to make the car some canyon carving racecar. My stock shocks are worn out now and I figured I would upgrade and get springs since it would all be apart. I might also consider rims in the future so I don't have tonka truck status ha ha. I also don't drive the car that hard so the rear end being off center and wheel hop and all that isn't going to really bother me since I rarely drive hard. The only reason I would consider an adj panhard bar is if this is going to make my tires wear funny. I also already have SFC's on the car even though that doesn't really affect suspension that much since it's more of a chassis thing. Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

Lowering will push the axle to the driver's side, a side effect of using a panhard bar to locate the axle. Whether this is a serious problem depends on just where you are starting from, and how wide your wheels and tires are.

If you have 10"+ wide tires, and lower your car, this could cause the passenger side wheel to rub the inner fender, and the driver's side wheel to rub the lip on the driver's side outer fender, during suspension travel. If you have stock 9" wheels, and your axle was shifted to the passengers side to start with, you may not have any rubbing issues after lowering.

Having the axle shifted to one side or the other won't necessarily impact tire wear, unless you have wide tires and count the driver's side lip cutting in to the tire as wear. Thrust angle, a function of lower control arms, will have an impact on tire wear.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it also goes by the extent of how far your going to lower it.

panhards are not really that expensive so if your going to lower it significantly I would go ahead and purchase one.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend getting an adjustable panhard rod, it is best to just do everything right the first time. Like everyone else said the lowering springs will shift the rear over to the side. We sell our BMR adjustable panhard rod for $114.95 so they are in expensive and very easy to install. If I can help you out in any way let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered the same thing also. I just picked up a BMR adj. panhard from Byunspeed. Its on sale for like $80 bucks..
Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are never wasting money buying adjustable items such as PHB or LCA especially when changing ride height. What you want to keep an eye out when shopping for such items is looking at what type of material it is and what components they are using as well.

We offer our Chrome-moly double adjustable PHB using teflon coated heim joints for $175 shipped at that comes in black or red powder coat.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses gents.

Quick Reply: Panhard bar