Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Blank rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blank rotors

Looking for a set of blank rotors to replace my Powerstop slotted rotors. Even though they seem to hold up great, I'm getting sick of the annoying pulsing stop, when the pads make contact with the slots. I would like to stay away from slotted and/or drilled.

I want a set of blanks that well perform well for a DD and have good looks. However, any set that I have seen are not coated to prevent rusting. I hate the OEM rotors that rust after the first day. I have seen ATE rotors and the reviews seem to be good, but once again they're slotted and the slot design looks stupid to me, but they're coated. So I might go down this road if there isn't too many options.

Are Brembo blanks coated? If anyone has any other suggestions for blank rotors that are coated, help would be appreciated.

I plan to run Hawk HPS pads with the new rotors if that makes a difference.

Thx
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tirerack sell's blank centric's that are reasonably priced and have a black finish on the hub section.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
Looking for a set of blank rotors to replace my Powerstop slotted rotors. Even though they seem to hold up great, I'm getting sick of the annoying pulsing stop, when the pads make contact with the slots. I would like to stay away from slotted and/or drilled.

I want a set of blanks that well perform well for a DD and have good looks. However, any set that I have seen are not coated to prevent rusting. I hate the OEM rotors that rust after the first day. I have seen ATE rotors and the reviews seem to be good, but once again they're slotted and the slot design looks stupid to me, but they're coated. So I might go down this road if there isn't too many options.

Are Brembo blanks coated? If anyone has any other suggestions for blank rotors that are coated, help would be appreciated.

I plan to run Hawk HPS pads with the new rotors if that makes a difference.

Thx
Brembo blank hats rust big time
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about getting slotted rotors, mainly for looks. Is this common with slotted rotors?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a set of those Centric rotors for the rear. They are not installed yet, but they are coated/painted black. I am also going to use the Hawk HPS pads.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Yeah it sucks, it seems that the majority of rotors for F-Bodies are either drilled or slotted and the ones that are blank will look like crap after a while haha.

I guess you can't have it all. At a local parts store here in Canada, the ATE's are on sale and apparently they're coated and will hold up well.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

the pulsing is probably a warped rotor. you cant feel the pads hitting the slots. think about how incredibly fast the rotor is spinning, and how many slots there are. its impossible to actually 'feel' the slots.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Launching!

You may be right, however, I doubt there warped. There is probably only 8000 miles on them and I don't abuse them at all.. However, you may be right, MAYBE one is warped, but their coming off when its out of storage anyway. I'm going to buy the ATE's on sale at a store in town.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe the pads weren't bedded in so well? I think "warping" or whatever can occur early in the life of a new set of pads
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just because the rotors have lower mileage doesn't mean that they can't have deposits and create that pulsing feeling you were describing.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pulsing isnt to do with the slots , thats a sign of warped rotors ..
I have stock replacement blank rotors and pads on my car and they pulse too , thats the reason I'll be going for a set of D&S rotors and new pads as soon as I get my gears and diff. installed.. Its a fact that blanks are the best in case of reliability and long life but D&S rotors on a daily that doesnt get abuse will do.. and they look good
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with raybesto rotors from pepboys and hawk pads. Around 10K on them and the brakes feel great. The rotors also have the hub part painted black. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

The "warped" rotor is usually an uneven buildup of pad material on the rotor face. It is very rare for something like a rotor to actually physically warp.

Get the rotors resurfaced and complete a proper bed-in procedure. You should be GTG.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SVThuh
The "warped" rotor is usually an uneven buildup of pad material on the rotor face. It is very rare for something like a rotor to actually physically warp.
not that rare at all. high heat can easily cause warp, as can just dropping the rotor. i had a set of brand new in the box brembo blanks delivered. one was warped from the factory. no build up of any kind.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

I went with Best Brakes rotors from stranoparts.com and Hawk HPS pads. I love them! also, check your rear rotors for warping. I felt the vibration in my steering wheel and replaced the fronts. Ended up being the rear left rotor. get the rear rotors turned and see if the problem is still there.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
not that rare at all. high heat can easily cause warp, as can just dropping the rotor. i had a set of brand new in the box brembo blanks delivered. one was warped from the factory. no build up of any kind.
No he's kind of right. It's deposits like I said.

Manufacturing defect does not = warped.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I love the discussion about disagreement on warping rotors. WHATEVER IT IS.. that seems to be happening.. we can all agree it happens on stock rotors often. Also, the pulsing can occur early in the life of pads.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
No he's kind of right. It's deposits like I said.

Manufacturing defect does not = warped.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
then explain how it happened. it was a BRAND NEW ROTOR, fresh out of the box, ZERO miles on it. BRAND NEW pads, ZERO miles. there were NO deposits. shook the car so bad i had a white knuckle deathgrip on the wheel just to keep control. took them off, had them properly cut, and it showed the rotor was warped. uneven cuts, the teeth were skipping along the rotor face, completely out of true.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
then explain how it happened. it was a BRAND NEW ROTOR, fresh out of the box, ZERO miles on it. BRAND NEW pads, ZERO miles. there were NO deposits. shook the car so bad i had a white knuckle deathgrip on the wheel just to keep control. took them off, had them properly cut, and it showed the rotor was warped. uneven cuts, the teeth were skipping along the rotor face, completely out of true.
That's a quality control problem for sure.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

You're correct about not feeling the slots on the slotted rotors, but you CAN hear them. I have slotted and dimpled on my grand prix and if the windows are down you can hear a sound like cicadas when you stop. My buddy has the same thing on his chrysler 300. They look awesome and they stop really well (slotted rotors heat up faster than blanks which gives you a greater initial bite, but overheats easier if you're beating on them).

I really like the look of the drilled and/or slotted, but they don't provide greater stopping distance, just greater initial bite.

Quick Reply: Blank rotors