Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

those of you with UMI roto-joint parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default those of you with UMI roto-joint parts?

Are these parts noisy?

I recently installed UMI single adjustable rear lower control arms. Like in the link below...
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=392

Also added UMI's 3pt. Bolt In Subframe Connectors at the same time. Along with 18x10.5 C5 DD wheels with 295/35/18 tires in the rear.

Ever since then, i get alot of rattling sounds when driving on bumpy/dirt roads. I was thinking, maybe its just the LCA's moving back and forth because of the roto-joint style but not sure. All the bolts are tightened down pretty well, even went around a 2nd time and put some locktite on them. I aslo get a weird noise, hard to explain but seems like it get it at certain times when either slowing down or doing a sharp kind of turn. Going to check my brakes & pads. I did the BFH mod and think i solved all the rubbing, maybe its the bumpstop and wheel touching at certain points and making that noise? im not sure.

Only other thing i can think of is my exhaust system, thats maybe banging around since its still got the stock i pipe over the axle piece. Hopefully some of you guys can tell me if this is a common issue with these roto joint style lca's, or if maybe any UMI rep on here can let me know about this. Just trying to be figure this out...
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 206 Likes on 160 Posts

Are the retainer rings tight? I've heard the UMI joints don't have a set screw to keep the rings from backing out. Though I also understand that roto joints are "quieter" than rod ends, so it's relative, they are still a bearing joint and are what they are.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-lca-slop.html
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Any control with any type of bushing shouldn't make that type of noise so I really don't think that is your issue. Now the control arms you have in the link above are rod ends and not Roto-Joints, do you know which ones you have?

One thing to check out is the torque on the front control arm bolts. This is the area where the SFC bolts to the control arm seen here- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...2004af_LRG.jpg

Since the SFC now attaches around the control arm mount it will take a lot more torque on the bolt to compress the SFC and control arm mount to apply pressure to the bushing. Try tightening these bolts more, up to 90 ft lbs.

I hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Any control with any type of bushing shouldn't make that type of noise so I really don't think that is your issue. Now the control arms you have in the link above are rod ends and not Roto-Joints, do you know which ones you have?

One thing to check out is the torque on the front control arm bolts. This is the area where the SFC bolts to the control arm seen here- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...2004af_LRG.jpg

Since the SFC now attaches around the control arm mount it will take a lot more torque on the bolt to compress the SFC and control arm mount to apply pressure to the bushing. Try tightening these bolts more, up to 90 ft lbs.

I hope this helps,
Ryan
My order history from byunspeed.com has the model# as 2013 for the LCA's. So i do have whats in the link i posted 1st, same price and part#'s.

You know now that i actually re-read the description on your website. I might actually have the LCA's on backwards. I have the rod end connected to the vehicle chassis (in the link you posted, i have the rod end connected there. Not whats shown). Could this be the cause for the rattling type noise? If so, man i feel dumb lol i couldnt find any pics on the here of how these tye lca's were installed. So i just went with what i thought might be the right way.

Its no biggie though, i still need to install the relocation brackets. I just bought a dremel, so now i can cut the piece off that the directions tell you to for the install. I can just turn those around at the same time. Hopefully that is the issue....

Quick Reply: those of you with UMI roto-joint parts?