Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Possible K member side effects? UMI RR

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible K member side effects? UMI RR

Hi.

I would like to get the UMI Road Race K member along with the upper and lower front controls arms for my 1999 SS. The car is a weekend street driver/part time drag racer.

I am wanting to drop the claimed weight along with the improved clearance underneath. I currently have TTS longtube headers also.

My question to any of you members that have this set-up is whether or not there were any negative side effects.such as sqeeks , rattles, poor handling etc. I am also concerned about how the integrity of the front end will change( more movement etc.)

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same questions.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tubular k-members are much stronger than the factory ones, handling, flex, and front end integrity should do nothing but improve.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The tubular k-members are much stronger than the factory ones, handling, flex, and front end integrity should do nothing but improve.
Sorry, but its usually quite the opposite.. The factory K-Members are very VERY strong, but they are heavy.

As far as tubular units go though, the UMI RR K-Member is probably the best out there and will offer the best compromise in terms of strength, rigidity and weight.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm running that K-member and I love it. As far as tubular K-members go, you can't beat the strength of this one. I didn't notice any effects on handling or steering after the change and haven't had any problems with it. It's been on for 2 years and has 20,000 miles on it.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I'm running that K-member and I love it. As far as tubular K-members go, you can't beat the strength of this one. I didn't notice any effects on handling or steering after the change and haven't had any problems with it. It's been on for 2 years and has 20,000 miles on it.

so you didn't have any squeaks or noise from the swap?
did you notice the weight coming off the front at all?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

No new noises. I don't notice the weight difference either. I took it to a scale out at a warehouse to see if there was a change and it read 3580 which is what it's always been since the stock days. I'm sure the K-member saved me some weight but I upgraded to a 383 and an Optima red top at the same time the K-member was installed so I probably saved weight in one spot and got it back in another.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I just picked up a midwest chassis kmember and it is one of the lightest on the market. I will post some feedback once its on.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

side affects ?a much liter wallet.a smaller checking balance,which will help you get poorer faster.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garygnu
side affects ?a much liter wallet.a smaller checking balance,which will help you get poorer faster.

So funny but so true.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

just make sure if you get the UMI lower A arms that the bolts are tight or the alignment will move on you. other then that , i love my UMI RR K-memeber. Installed it myself, by myself. not too hard other then the initial stock drop and the umi bolt in. A friend would really help with this but you can do it by your self if you have some muscles lol
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any pics of bolt positions for alignment ?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

not really any alignment that you cango off of. The alignent has to be done with an alignment machine, or you can do it the hard way and align it yourself but that takes some know how. An alignment isnt too much at a shop. You shouldnt spend more then $100 or they are ripping you off. n Germany it cost like $45 and here in El paso its like $65, so id just get it done so they can also give you a data sheet to show you were everything is. biggest thing it affects is camber since the lower A-arms can move in and out quite a bit if there arnt tighened. youll have to look up the torque specs i don tknow them.

Quick Reply: Possible K member side effects? UMI RR