Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best all around spring/shock setup???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011 | 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Default best all around spring/shock setup???

I wanna hear from you guys what has worked best. I do alittle of everything. Drag race, street driving, plan on trying out autocross and a road course. I know that they are all different but I am looking for a setup the will be good for street driving, have good ride quality, be able to take corners on a track, not affect drag racing to much and just be alittle lower. Is there any setup that would work well for everything?? I know strano has a really good spring and koni's are good but I don't want to spend that much on shocks. Let me what you guys have and pics would be great.
Old 03-27-2011 | 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

well my konis are great.

im sure sam can set you up with a less expensive option(s).
Old 03-27-2011 | 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Which one of all the things you are doing are you willing to sacrifice some performance on?
Old 03-27-2011 | 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

I am not gonna do as much drag racing anymore, I really just want it to have good street manners, good ride quality, and handle good. I know I will loose some time at the track but that will be fine. Going to be getting ttm's with 315 out back so that's why I don't want it to low either
Old 03-27-2011 | 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

I know koni's are great but I just can't spend that kind of money. Just looking to have alittle lower stance and not really worried about the straight line performance cuz it will still be fast
Old 03-27-2011 | 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

If on a budget and cutting down on drag racing, I would go SLP Bilsteins & Strano Springs.
Old 03-27-2011 | 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone else have any recomendations?
Old 03-27-2011 | 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99T/AMAN
I am not gonna do as much drag racing anymore, I really just want it to have good street manners, good ride quality, and handle good. I know I will loose some time at the track but that will be fine. Going to be getting ttm's with 315 out back so that's why I don't want it to low either
Originally Posted by 99T/AMAN
I know koni's are great but I just can't spend that kind of money. Just looking to have alittle lower stance and not really worried about the straight line performance cuz it will still be fast
How much are those wheels and tires going to cost you in comparison to the ~$730 set of Konis?
IMO they are worth every penny, easily the most noticeable/greatest improvement Ive done to the suspension, or to the car for that matter. I wouldn't own another Fbody without Konis, or Koni-equivalent (or better) shocks, way too much of an improvement to go back.
Honestly if you want "best all around", I go with just Konis on stock springs, and if you want to lower a little use the lower front perch, and heater hose mod in the rear. Then if you want to further improve handling you can look into strano swaybars (35mm/22mm F/R).
Old 03-27-2011 | 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

The reason I said I couldn't do the koni's is cuz of the wheels and tires and how much they cost but I like the idea of koni's on stock springs with heater hose mod. Would be the same price to get some strano's and not so good shocks
Old 03-28-2011 | 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

what is the hearter hose mod?
Old 03-28-2011 | 02:14 AM
TECH Junkie

I have used many brands of springs and I have ended up liking my Hotchkis springs the best all around. A buddy of mine had Hotchkis/KYB setup, and I really liked the ride quality, and control. Great bang for the buck shock.. I'm saving for front Koni's right now because I only have the rears right now.
Old 03-28-2011 | 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

On this site you are probably going to get the koni/strano setup. Which I have and is very good. Sam can give you different options depending on your budget. Yes Koni/Strano's IMO are the best but there are other options out there.

Quick Reply: best all around spring/shock setup???