Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pulling to the left while braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling to the left while braking

Well car is a 99 trans am and like it says in the title it pulls hardcore to the left when I brake anything more than lightly. The wheel just kind of gets jerket out of my hand. Ill list whats new and recently done to the car. Lower control arm bushings, upper & lower ball joints. Replaced right side caliper thinking it was dying but no go. Alignment.New rack & pinion, new outer tie rods. Tubular K member. New left side rim & tire. It still pulled before the new rim & rim changed it thinking bad wheel. Replaced the abs brake module thing that goes under the hood. I think thats about it. I'm tired of throwing parts and time at it without being able to find out the real problem. Any suggestions? The car was in an accident which is why the k member and rack along with the oil pan where replaced. The frame was fine though. Any ideas on this braking issue? Really need some help as this is my DD.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

My first guess would be that your LEFT caliper is sticking a little. I would replace that and go from there.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
My first guess would be that your LEFT caliper is sticking a little. I would replace that and go from there.
I agree 100%.

Not to be an azzhat, but it appears you changed out a LOT of stuff, while chasing down what appears is a basic problem......

One more thing....while re-reading your original post mentioning an accident, I'll suggest one more thing. Replace the front brake hoses, and check for pinched hard lines on the left side.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Launching!

If it pulls to the left while braking, the left caliper wouldn't be the one that is sticking as it must be working if its pulling to that side. (though if it continued to stick after releasing the brake pedal...then you could have a problem there).

My thoughts would be the right caliper. Though you've changed the right caliper, check to see its not frozen OR the line which leads to it is not kinked or pinched (hard line as well as rubber line). Running a pressure gauge check on each caliper would quickly tell you if there was something wrong within the lines.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Left shock bad? or the left caliper is clamping twice as hard as the right.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
If it pulls to the left while braking, the left caliper wouldn't be the one that is sticking as it must be working if its pulling to that side. (though if it continued to stick after releasing the brake pedal...then you could have a problem there).

My thoughts would be the right caliper. Though you've changed the right caliper, check to see its not frozen OR the line which leads to it is not kinked or pinched (hard line as well as rubber line). Running a pressure gauge check on each caliper would quickly tell you if there was something wrong within the lines.
If the LEFT caliper isnt releasing all the way,when you hit the brakes the left side needs less pressure to actuate. This will cause the car to pull in that direction. I suck at explaining things on here. I will say that I have been there and done that.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Bleed your brakes and check your hubs for play
Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
If the LEFT caliper isnt releasing all the way,when you hit the brakes the left side needs less pressure to actuate. This will cause the car to pull in that direction. I suck at explaining things on here. I will say that I have been there and done that.
this is true, as is the fact that the right caliper could be seized without clamping the rotor, so pressing the brakes makes the left caliper function as normal and the car will pull to the right.

If the left caliper was seized it would more than likely always pull atleast a little bit to the left.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Ok so heres an update... I replaced brake pads and checked the driver side caliper turns out that one of the pins that slides in was frozen in there. Took me a while beat it out cleaned the inside of the bracket lubed it up and installed. Checked the caliper and it seemed fine. I also bled both sides but NOTHING! still pulling to the left. I forgot to mention there is a weird creaking sort of noise when i turn the wheel lightly back and forth. Its pretty audible. It looks to me as the upper control arms bushings are shot or something. When I turned the wheel I watched the upper control arm and it seemed to move a little bit may this be the cause? Everything is practically replaced besides the upper control arm bushings. rack, tie rods, lower bushings, ball joints, brake pads. fml is my only thoughts at the moment lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how about your tires? fronts evenly worn?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Launching!

well just replaced them recently but I think that they were not worn out evenly.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
well just replaced them recently but I think that they were not worn out evenly.
Although caster doesn't have a LOT of effect on tire wear, I suppose if your alignment is messed up (even though it was just done), and you had a lot more caster on the driver's side vs. the passenger's side, which is incorrect, that could cause the car to pull left under braking, although the car would also tend to run to the left under normal driving.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would say there a good chance right side is stuck. You say the cailiper looked good. Whats that mean? Piston could be stuck. Also done brake jobs caliper,rotors,pads, and still will pull, Replace the brake line and fix the issue. The line fail internally. EDIT read some more and notice you replace the right side. Possible brake line, could possibly swap them and see if the problem goes the other way.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Although caster doesn't have a LOT of effect on tire wear, I suppose if your alignment is messed up (even though it was just done), and you had a lot more caster on the driver's side vs. the passenger's side, which is incorrect, that could cause the car to pull left under braking, although the car would also tend to run to the left under normal driving.
high caster on the left will make the car pull to the right. Caster pulls to least positive. Camber pulls to most positive.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Well replaced the damaged control arm bushings and I still have a horrible squeak creaking noise when I turn the wheel and of course that did not solve my problem. The alignment print out showed that everything was within specs so doubt my caster n camber have anything to do w it.

Quick Reply: Pulling to the left while braking