Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for those with lowered cars.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:25 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for those with lowered cars.....

I recently had my Hotchkis springs and revalved Bilsteins installed, the car feels solid and handling is perfect but the rear of the car hits real hard when going over bumps and I also noticed that the exhaust is hittting the upper PH rod.

I have a pair of BMR LCA relocation brackets sitting in the garage, If I install them will they help eliminate the harsh ride in the rear??

The rear shocks are Bilstein 3rd Gen.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Relocation brackets won't affect the harshness of the suspension. Going to higher rate springs (which all lowering springs are) is going to increase the harshness of the ride. Going to stiffer valved shocks (which are needed to properly match higher rate springs, not to mention the stock shocks are undervalved even for the stock springs) is going to increase the harshness of the ride. That's just the nature of the business.

With a solid rear axle, we have a lot of unsprung weight and not enough sprung weight holding it down. This means you've gotta compromise between ride quality and handling quality. I'm still up in the air myself as to whether or not I want to go with aftermarket/higher rate springs on my car. It's improved dramatically with the Konis and stock springs, but my rear ride height is still higher than I'd prefer, and while the ride quality is still ok (in some respects actually much better than with the stock decrapons), there's still more body roll than I'd like when pushing the corners and more nose dive than I'd like when hard on the brakes.

18" wheels don't help the ride quality either.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:02 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, at least the brackets will help in the traction dept. When I get time to crawl under the car this weekend I'll adjust the exhaust so that it doesn't contact the upper PH rod, maybe that won't make the ride seem so harsh.

I do love the way the car handles though.

Quick Reply: Question for those with lowered cars.....