Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Shock Advice

Hey Guys,

My shocks and struts are in dire need of replacement...
About a year ago I got side swiped on the interstate and she took a ride over a drop off, that and 90K miles and 440hp and I get a ton of nose travel when I take off and the rear tires don't stay planted well any more...

Now I thought about some Koni's, Strange??

I am replacing Shocks, rotors and brakes... now, I would consider springs too, so I could drop it about an 1" but I am doing a relocation in a few weeks and don't have the time or money to change LCA and PHB to adjustable at this time..

So is there a good shock package that will handle my HP and "if" I get around to a small drop will still be usable..

TIA

Pete

Last edited by killer01ws6; 04-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on your driving style. Koni's are great for a street car, and really up the handling and stability, but it's not a drag shock if that's what you're looking for (not saying it's bad for launching, just more of a performance-street shock than a drag shock).

If you go with Koni's, you can lower .75"/.5" front/back by doing the lower perch/heaterhose mod (found in a sticky on this section) without requiring new springs. Otherwise, for 1" drop, I hear good things about Hotchkis....going 1.2" or so I'd recommend Strano's if you want to lower that far (which isn't a radical drop by any means, just depends on preference).

As far as adjustable PHB, it's recommended, but not always NEEDED when you drop, especially if it's only .5-1" or so (or even 1.2" with the Strano's isn't too bad). I'd recommend getting one, but unless you really wide tires you should be fine for a while.

Adjustable LCA's aren't needed for lowering, you'll be fine with stock. Most will recommend LCA relocation brackets though, which will help with your launching as well.

And lastly, these cars don't have "struts", but four wheel "shocks"
Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I guess it depends on your driving style. Koni's are great for a street car, and really up the handling and stability, but it's not a drag shock if that's what you're looking for (not saying it's bad for launching, just more of a performance-street shock than a drag shock).

If you go with Koni's, you can lower .75"/.5" front/back by doing the lower perch/heaterhose mod (found in a sticky on this section) without requiring new springs. Otherwise, for 1" drop, I hear good things about Hotchkis....going 1.2" or so I'd recommend Strano's if you want to lower that far (which isn't a radical drop by any means, just depends on preference).

As far as adjustable PHB, it's recommended, but not always NEEDED when you drop, especially if it's only .5-1" or so (or even 1.2" with the Strano's isn't too bad). I'd recommend getting one, but unless you really wide tires you should be fine for a while.

Adjustable LCA's aren't needed for lowering, you'll be fine with stock. Most will recommend LCA relocation brackets though, which will help with your launching as well.

And lastly, these cars don't have "struts", but four wheel "shocks"

ROTFL, That is what you get when you leave the car parked for almost 2yr and stay out of the scene... I did a quick google search and it showed a strut-shock package for 94-02 Fbody.. even as I typed that I was thinking, that don't sound right LOL.. which is why I wanted to come back for advise from folks doing "current" mods

I don't go to the strip anymore, but I might on my new move... I do have a heavy foot and like back country/mountain roads.

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, no problem. It's a really common mistake.

Yeah, I have Koni's with stock springs on my car and it's so much more responsive/stable than the stock shocks were. Overall, a great upgrade.