Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Setup Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Setup Questions...

I've read in many suspension threads that for handling you want koni's either SA or DA and strano's sway-bars (to begin with). Great, and stranos' wins in autocross along with many people praising them they seem the way to go.

But I've yet to hear someone describe what they actually set the car up for?

After seeing some members referring to oversteer as the devil I'm curious, what will these actually feel like? My idea of a setup would be mild oversteer at corner entry, and neutral or very slight understeer on corner exit. During neutral throttle (say going around a long highway off/on-ramp), I'd like it to be neutral or with very slight oversteer (basically, without applying throttle or brakes I'd like the car to naturally tend towards oversteer). As for stiffness, handling ability > ride quality.

I've read several basic how-to guides on handling setups, but has anyone hunted for a setup like this on our cars and have some parts I should look into?

I know this probably doesn't sound like the fastest setup for a car, but I'm more experienced dealing with oversteer; I also find it more fun, and thats what I believe cars like this should be at the end of the day.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Well, it depends on the situation. Koni Yellow's (Koni S/A) should be perfect for just about any car, Autocross or Road Racing. You can **** with all sorts of variables to dial it in, but you can't go wrong with Koni's.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did bilstiens shocks....10x better handling over stock...your tight into corners, you don't nose dive nearly as much/ or lift the front end as much during accel, and hitting bumps is no longer a ******* bang bang issue..I can take a sharp curve going 70mph as where before I had to slow down a bit...You'll get the same result out of bilsteins as you will konis..go koni if you ever plan on lowering... I'm not so I saved 400$..just my .02...my car is setup for dd and fun when I want it to be. I paird my shocks with lcas to plant my rear wheels on the ground all from strano.....just call him like I did...It saves alot of hassle and other peoples opinions when you can just talk to Sam one on one...he'll explain everything within 5 min.

Last edited by justin hover; 04-05-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im pretty happy with my Koni's on my dd , its a street car but when it comes to having fun on the corners , I love it ..
the car is pretty neutral , sometimes a bit of oversteer ..
today I thought Id have a bit of fun , so I went to an empty lot , there was a 90 degree left turn pretty hard , now Im very sure that if I had done that with my stock shock , Id get a ton of body roll and a loose rear end .. car is really planted with the shocks , but I havent experienced the understeer/oversteer effects of the sway bars , SOON ..

Quick Reply: Suspension Setup Questions...