Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I think my brakes are dragging HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think my brakes are dragging HELP

ok so the past few times ive had my car on the highway it will start to vibrate and drone really bad in the car and feels like the brakes are dragging and slowing the car down. i recently determined it is my front right brake that is sticking because it was about 200degrees hotter then the rest of the brakes after driving a half mile. What do you think could be the cause of my sticking brake and what should i do??
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Steering wheel vibrating? Sounds like a warped rotor to me.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

sounds like the rotor got warped BECAUSE of a stuck caliper pin........the caliper pins freeze just because they can.......ask me how i know
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Launching!

its weird though because it will fine and not dragging or doing anything funny, then all the sudden ill feel a slight vibration in the wheel and a drony sound and i can feel it slowing me down, and then as fast as it started it goes away...
Old 04-06-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the caliper pins and check the wheel bearings.. The front hubs on our cars are not the best design out there for sure. Too much play could cause the vibration you are feeling and can cause the brake pad to drag on the rotor showing you your increased brake temps.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bp m1009
ok so the past few times ive had my car on the highway it will start to vibrate and drone really bad in the car and feels like the brakes are dragging and slowing the car down. i recently determined it is my front right brake that is sticking because it was about 200degrees hotter then the rest of the brakes after driving a half mile. What do you think could be the cause of my sticking brake and what should i do??
Cheapest, quickest solution here is to replace the caliper with a re manufactured one. If you're handy you can replace the guides, dust boots and seals and reuse the caliper. If you've baked that rotor to the point of cementite formation (dense nodules in the friction surface) the juddering or vibration will get worse with time and turning it down will only solve the issue for a while. This may be a good time to go through the whole system and flush/bleed it with a quality DOT 3 or 4 fluid.

Quick Reply: I think my brakes are dragging HELP