Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring settle question Strano's

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update to this thread. Or pics? I'm lookiing at purchase of Strano springs.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

They are still on the way, nothing new to report until they arrive which should be in the next 2-3 weeks based on the shipped date.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

My car is perfect on these springs / Koni shocks. It appears higher in front only cause shape of car. If It sits lower on one side you may want to check sway bar mount/installation. Could be preloading causing it to sit lower.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed Koni shocks and Strano Springs as well...Front sits higher than rear. I figured the fronts would settle after a few hundred miles as well. Is this not true??? Do they make a thicker spring isolator to put in the rears vs. the stockers to raise it just a little bit?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Sam, I sent you a PM, not sure if you do those on here or not. I'm not concerned with all this about the front sitting higher, I just looked at a pic of my car now, as it sits and the front fender is slightly higher, just because like you said it's a different cut. Anyway, if you would rather I call, then I can do that too.
To OP, I'd like to see pics of your car, that's what I was asking about.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bingo... The rear opening is not as large at the front, the reason you notice it more after lowering is because the cars sit so high to start with you can't really tell. If you step back and look you'll find that the rocker panels are pretty even with the ground.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Bingo... The rear opening is not as large at the front, the reason you notice it more after lowering is because the cars sit so high to start with you can't really tell. If you step back and look you'll find that the rocker panels are pretty even with the ground.
Agreed!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

I made the point about the fenders in this thread. It seems to be more often the Camaro owners who complain about this effect. Seems to have more to do with the shape of the front fenders on the Camaro than the actual drop Sam's spring provide.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...l#post15008027
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

So since the front "appears" to sit higher, why not change the springs so that it fixes the issue?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by k0261886
So since the front "appears" to sit higher, why not change the springs so that it fixes the issue?
Sam said in another post somewhere that his goal was performance based, and aesthetics was not a consideration.

For a lot of people ordering "lowering" springs, lowering is the goal, and so aesthetics is the primary if not the only consideration.

You can by spring spacers, or i guess use the heater hose mod with the rubber insulator, to raise the rear up, and even out the appearance.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to the OP do you have any pics? I didn't see any yet in this thread...just curious how bad it really looks???
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i went with bmr springs simply because i didnt want my car to look lower in the rear.I didnt lower with performance in mind,i just wanted it to look better.I would think most people lowering there car are doing it more for looks than performance.It does seem to be more of a problem with camaros and stranos,The Transams i have seen all look good with em though.My bmr springs are a little high in the rear,but i can always take out the isolator to bring it down more.There has to be something you guys can add to the isolator or rear spring to bring it up a little.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I find that last post amusing, since they redesigned their springs completely to be much more like mine, and admitted they had some for "evaluation". In fact if you look at them you'll see they aren't that different other than a little rate and the materials (which matter to the performance and quality). I'll add that I find it amazing that for all the multiple hundreds of sets out there (and there are at least 700 sets out there, probably more given the number I've sold over the years) is trumped by a few claiming a tail low stance. Meanwhile I don't see many pictures supporting this.

The bottom line is, and always has been some cars sit lower than others. My springs were partially don't because that was such a common issue with Pro-kits, and many folks have changed from Pro-kits to mine and *ding* the tail rises. Add to that the number of folks with weight added, stereo's, etc, beat down isolators after 100k miles and sure, some cars will sit lower. I can't please everyone, the day that happens is the day the world ends.

I'm just disappointed that with the internet all it takes is the wind to blow a certain way and it turns a "thing" and I'm amazed for all the years we've been doing the springs now, the first batch having been done in 2006, that this is suddenly a big deal.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I find that last post amusing, since they redesigned their springs completely to be much more like mine, and admitted they had some for "evaluation". In fact if you look at them you'll see they aren't that different other than a little rate and the materials (which matter to the performance and quality). I'll add that I find it amazing that for all the multiple hundreds of sets out there (and there are at least 700 sets out there, probably more given the number I've sold over the years) is trumped by a few claiming a tail low stance. Meanwhile I don't see many pictures supporting this.

The bottom line is, and always has been some cars sit lower than others. My springs were partially don't because that was such a common issue with Pro-kits, and many folks have changed from Pro-kits to mine and *ding* the tail rises. Add to that the number of folks with weight added, stereo's, etc, beat down isolators after 100k miles and sure, some cars will sit lower. I can't please everyone, the day that happens is the day the world ends.

I'm just disappointed that with the internet all it takes is the wind to blow a certain way and it turns a "thing" and I'm amazed for all the years we've been doing the springs now, the first batch having been done in 2006, that this is suddenly a big deal.

You are making it a big deal. The drama is about to start and you are making it happen. I see a thread where a couple of guys are not entirely happy with your product and all of a sudden you feel the need to attack them.

Im a happy BMR springs owner and Im sorry to inform you they make a good product also. Your over reaction and silly drama gets really old.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Was the Actual question of this thread even answered? Do the fronts take more time to settle?

Yes we all know every car is different and not every car will look the same...Springs were designed for performance in mind not for looks...I understand all this but I would like to know the answer to the original question.

There are plenty of parts places that sell thicker spring isolators for the rear but if the front will settle after a few hundred miles then the isolator is a purchase not needed
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by smitty504
Was the Actual question of this thread even answered? Do the fronts take more time to settle?

Yes we all know every car is different and not every car will look the same...Springs were designed for performance in mind not for looks...I understand all this but I would like to know the answer to the original question.

There are plenty of parts places that sell thicker spring isolators for the rear but if the front will settle after a few hundred miles then the isolator is a purchase not needed
The guy above apparently never experienced any settling at all. How many miles since you installed those springs?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Barely any at all 20-30. I just chimed in as I am curious if they will settle after a few hundred miles or so.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Teching In

i'm lowering my TA too. i read a lot of threads on strano's spring and most are happy with the lowering results. i also read some thread on the bmr springs too, since im installing headers and true dual exhaust and does not want any exhaust scraping. can someone tell me which of the 2 springs (bmr or strano's) will lower the car no more than 1.5 inches?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Personally, I totally agree with what you are saying and will be going with a set of your springs. It will lower my car yet improve the overall handling. Win Win! I too have yet to see a pic of a car where the front is actually sitting higher than the rear, based on rocker panel. Hence why I've asked the OP for a pic.

Originally Posted by chaman
You are making it a big deal. The drama is about to start and you are making it happen. I see a thread where a couple of guys are not entirely happy with your product and all of a sudden you feel the need to attack them.

Im a happy BMR springs owner and Im sorry to inform you they make a good product also. Your over reaction and silly drama gets really old.
I don't think he is making a big deal, just telling you the reason you are happy with the BMR springs is because they openly admited to pretty much copying his. I have yet to see him attack anyone. He's just educating them.

Hell, look at my pic, that's sitting on stock everything. It sure looks like the front is sitting higher than the rear based on wheel well opening and cut, but if you look at rocker, it's good. Just my 0.02.
And I'll say it, opinions are like ********, everyone has one.
Attached Thumbnails Spring settle question Strano's-p1010645comp.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Too bad your argument does not apply to me since I got the previous BMR springs not the new ones.

Quick Reply: Spring settle question Strano's