Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

When to replace inner/outer tierod ends

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When to replace inner/outer tierod ends

My car is a 95 and has 126xxx on the clock. Im puttin on strano springs, konis, and Im putting in new moog upper/lower control arm bushings in the front as well as ball joints. My question is this: should I be doing the inner and outer tierod ends too? Im gonna have to realign this thing after the drop, so should I replace these before there is slop? Im also running 275 18's for front tires, and Im sure those are not being kind to the tierod ends... haha.

Just wondering what people think.. this thing is pretty old already and I severly doubt they have been replaced up until this point.

I have also recently graduated from college, so I dont know how much longer I will be workin at the chevy dealership to have access to the price discounts, alignment rack, and tech's special tools to be doing all this work too.. Just food for thought.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace them. For the price they can be found for I would replace them while I'm in there
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

i'd also replace them. No harm in that.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

I would also recommend replacing them they are cheap and not hard if you have the special tool. its good to do them before you take it for alignment so you dont have to get it done twice!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah Im in agreement with everyone. And actually, I ended up getting a whole rack with the inner tie rod ends for 22 bucks more than just the inner tie rod ends!
The outer ones were seperate, but easy enough to install.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not too mechanical so I am was looking for a write-up on how to replace the tie rod ends. Does anyone have one with pictures? I'd really appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyz28
I'm not too mechanical so I am was looking for a write-up on how to replace the tie rod ends. Does anyone have one with pictures? I'd really appreciate it.
You raise the car in a SAFE manner. Remove the front wheels; remove the nuts that attach the outer tie rod studs to the spindles. USUALLY, there's a "flat spot" on the spindle, adjacent to where the tie rod is inserted. Give the spindle a sharp whack. This USUALLY releases the tie rod from the spindle.

Hold the tie rod with one wrench on the "flat", and loosen the jam nut. Remove the outer tie rod from the inner by turning it. Reverse the operation to install the new one. Replace both, get car aligned. Except for the alignment, shouldn't take much more than an hour.....

Quick Reply: When to replace inner/outer tierod ends