Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering car, cosmetic reasons, never race, advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering car, cosmetic reasons, never race, advice needed.

I'm lowering my car with BMR springs, along with new shocks (KYB AGX probably). I'm not looking to race it, I just want it to look lower, thats all.

Do I need all those extra parts like adj panhard bar, ect, ect? As you can tell, I know jack squat about suspension and what everything does. I just don't want to break anything or for it to be dangerous to drive, so do I have to buy the other suspension parts? I have a very limited budget to work with and don't want all of my money tied up in suspension because I want some other goodies too! Whats the minimum I need here? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will probably get some wheel hop after you lower it because it will change the angle of the control arm. So it would be a good idea to get some LCA's and relocation brackets. They aren't that expensive
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

you wont need adjustable lower control arms or a tq arm , now you may need an adjustable panhard bar but , on my formula lowered with eibachs i dont have an adjustable , it didnt need one . Chances are just do the springs and an alignment and you will be good to go .
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If I were you I would just grab a BMR adjustable panhard bar to center up the rear end and you will be good to go. Since you don't race the car you can get away with out doing any of the other parts. If by chance you do have wheel hop you would want to throw a set of our lower control arm relocation brackets on the car but I would just do the panhard bar and see how the car does. If you want one give me a call and I will take care of you on it.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Launching!

I think the BMR site may be down atm. I'll take a look at that panhard bar later, thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest getting an Adj. panhard for sure. I have the BMR springs and KYB shocks (white ones). My car is just a fun, DD, street car. I will never push my car hard enough to need to spend $1,000 worth of shocks or springs like people suggest.

FYI, i just installed a set of BMR adj panhard and BMR weld on subframes. I do feel as though my car is a bit stiffer. When i just had the BMR lowering springs and nothing else, it seemed as though the rear would slide a bit. Now that i have a panhard it definitely fixed that.

You should be able to find a panhard used for cheap in the classifieds. If anything, you can get it new from BYUNSPEED. I think it was like 60-80 bucks brand new for an adj. panhard.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks man, good to hear from someone who has the same setup. i will definitely pick up an adj panhard bar then.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is slammed and my guy has been doing alignment for 30years. My control arms and tie rods are maxed out and my cars camber is still -2. so the inner edge of my tires are wearing ever so slowly because of it. He suggested I get adj arms so that it has more play and can get to at least an even 0.00. it handles great but my front tires need to be changed every 6-8 months depending on how I drive. I drag and cross the car. So all I need is a relocation brackets and a adj panhard to be able to get my camber up front at 0.00 or greater? Or are you suggesting this for cars that are slightly lowered?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Phoenix
My car is slammed and my guy has been doing alignment for 30years. My control arms and tie rods are maxed out and my cars camber is still -2. so the inner edge of my tires are wearing ever so slowly because of it. He suggested I get adj arms so that it has more play and can get to at least an even 0.00. it handles great but my front tires need to be changed every 6-8 months depending on how I drive. I drag and cross the car. So all I need is a relocation brackets and a adj panhard to be able to get my camber up front at 0.00 or greater? Or are you suggesting this for cars that are slightly lowered?
adj pan hard and relo brackets will not help your front camber
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

I dunno if you could get away on the stock Speedline 17x9's without an adjustable panhard. Probably. I think the best bet is to get one though and recenter the rear and not have to worry about it at the edge of travel. You will be more likely to reach the edges of travel with that spring and shock combination so I would personally get the adjustable panhard if I were you.

The LCAs you can deal with if it becomes a problem for you I suppose.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

relocation brackets and a panhard bar are rear suspension parts, you need front control arms, or better yet good springs that don't slam the car, you will get better handling and ride.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Like I figured so my springs are the problem and adj upper lower control arms wouldn't help. What are your springs and how low is your car? do you have any pics?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I am also running a 18 by 9.5 inch rim. Does this make a difference.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Would control arm relocation brackets give me more camber to work with since they sit position the control arms at an better angle for more traction? Or do I should I go with the adj upper lower control arms?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Would control arm relocation brackets give me more camber to work with since they sit position the control arms at an better angle for more traction? Or do I should I go with the adj upper lower control arms?
relocation brackets are for the REAR lower control arms. Your camber is out on the FRONT.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

So with that said the adj upper and lower arms are the only way to get more camber out of the car thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So with that said the adj upper and lower arms are the only way to get more camber out of the car thanks.
Yes, adjustable front upper/lower A-arms may do the trick for you. But for the price of them you're much better off getting good springs instead. What are you running right now, sportlines?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

So good springs would give me more camber because of my car being raised i am assuming. I don't wont to raise the car back up too much how low can a car be and not have this problem? Yes I am running sportlines. Car handles great and I luv how it sits but I have to get the camber back to at least an even 0.00. What springs are you running how low is your car dropped?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

my car has offset bushings in the front upper arms to ADD negative camber (better handling at the limit), so i thik in your case you could run offset bushings and offset them in the opposite direction to REDUCE negative camber. they came on my car when i bought it, but i think strano sells them.

i would read up on suspension components and what they do. most retailers have a description on the parts online. i learned a lot form reading that stuff, plus the FAQ here.

i would love to go lower on my Z28. thinking about doing circle track coilovers fornt and rear. but i will need a track bar and relo brackets for sure.
ughh... it never ends... hahaha
Old 04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

wth is circle track coilovers? im sure i can google them but i just wanted to be a douche and ask lol

Quick Reply: Lowering car, cosmetic reasons, never race, advice needed.