Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why can't I get a good brake pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't I get a good brake pedal?

So i just finished putting new gears in my car (1995 z28), to do so i removed the rear axle and in doing that i disconnected the brake line where the hard line running under the car attaches to the soft line that drops down to the axle. i put everything back together and began bleeding the brakes and i seem to have gotten all the air out of the system as i can get good steady clean fluid out of all the bleeders (starting in right rear then left rear then right front then left front) and the pedal seems pretty good. As soon as i start the car and hit the brake pedal it drops about half of its travel like there is no brakes before it gets stiff and the brake light comes on because it trips the safety cut off in the proportioning valve. If i take the sensor out of the top of the proportioning valve i can shift the safety cut off back to its center position and reinstall the sensor and bleed the brakes again and the same thing, as soon as i start the car and hit the brakes the pedal drops about half way like it has no brakes and then gets stiff and it trips the saftey valve in the proportioning valve and makes the "brake" light come on again. Am i doing something wrong in bleeding the brakes? is there something special about this brake system that i'm not familiar with?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet you have a small leak,the brake line did not seat correctly.loosen up the hard lines and retighten again.

Quick Reply: Why can't I get a good brake pedal?