Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem adjusting front Koni's 4/4 (possibly faulty workmanship)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem adjusting front Koni's 4/4 (possibly faulty workmanship)

Hey folks,

I've had these Koni's for a few months now (havn't been installed yet), but I plan to in a week and a half and I was just admiring them ..

However, one front shock I can adjust approximately 8-9 sweeps or so and it turns perfectly fine.

The other shock, I can only turn it approximately 3 sweeps with no problems. One of the holes I can barely get my Allen key in. It appears that the hole is 1/4 filled with metal. It's like the hole wasn't cleared completely during the manufacturing process. I can only fit the Allen key in like 1/4 of the way and can't generate enough leverage to adjust it.

Any ideas? I am the original owner of the shocks.. I would like to try and avoid the warranty if possible as I don't want to pay the shipping (I don't think I should have to - what warranty is that??) and I don't want to wait forever to get it back.

I was thinking of trying to breakdown the material in the hole, to try and get my Allen key in deeper unless someone else has another idea? Any help would be appreciated.

If you look at the attached picture, the top left portion of the picture you can see the material inside. In all other areas you can see right to the back of the hole.
Attached Thumbnails Problem adjusting front Koni's 4/4 (possibly faulty workmanship)-koni.jpg  

Last edited by cnd99hawk; 04-25-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try VERY CAREFULLY to clear it out if there is no other option. My issue is adjusting the damn things once installed. One of the coils wraps RIGHT in front of that adjustment window. It's a bitch trying to do it blind, with a bent Allen that curves around the coil.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Yeah I don't really know what to use to try and get rid of it though???

I also thought about calling Koni to see what they think, but whatever they suggest, I don't want to send it back and have them take XX number of days to repair and send it back. Lucky I took them out today and not on install day and set myself back even more. It's pretty frustrating considering how much these shocks cost. I know nothing is perfect and people make mistakes but I just hope this can be fix/rectified asap. As stated before, if anyone has any similar experiences or advice, please let me know.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I decided to contact Koni and ship them the defective shock. They said that they'll reimburse me if the shock is defective (which I am 100% positive it is) as I have no problems adjusting the other front shock.

After further investigation...

If you look at the picture again.. Look at the small hole above the adjusting hole.. This hole appears to be a tiny screw (no idea what it's for). Anyway's, this small screw is somehow partially inside the adjusting hole. I can see the threads if I look close enough. So it's probably a good idea to not try and F it up and just send it back for a replacement.

I told them I expect it to be sent expedited, at their expense, as I had originally planned to do the install it this weekend, now it looks like next weekend.

Quick Reply: Problem adjusting front Koni's 4/4 (possibly faulty workmanship)