Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear suspension alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011 | 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Default Rear suspension alignment

I have UMI DA PHB and LCAs, and Im wondering what techniques you guys use to align the rear suspension. I dont have the stock LCAs and PHB to go off of and Im also trying to fit 28" tall tires. I have the tires on and they both look pretty well centered in the wheel well but I dont know what sort of measurements I need to make and how/where I should make them.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011 | 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I have UMI DA PHB and LCAs, and Im wondering what techniques you guys use to align the rear suspension. I dont have the stock LCAs and PHB to go off of and Im also trying to fit 28" tall tires. I have the tires on and they both look pretty well centered in the wheel well but I dont know what sort of measurements I need to make and how/where I should make them.

Thanks!
when i did mine i just adjusted it from the gaps between the tires and the body - (using the LCA adjustment).. then went behind the car and stood about 10ft away, and made adjustments to the PHB untill i could see the rear end looked center... test drove and made sure there was no rubbing issues.
Old 04-28-2011 | 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Do I need to put load on the axle?
Old 04-28-2011 | 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

yes you need load on the axle, or it won't be centered when it's back on the ground. Make sure the LCA's are the same length, mounting hole to mounting hole, when you put them in. Misaligned LCA's will affect thrust angle.

Use using a washer that hangs down to the wheel center from a string taped to the fenders on each side helps with centering side to side.
Old 04-28-2011 | 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
yes you need load on the axle, or it won't be centered when it's back on the ground. Make sure the LCA's are the same length, mounting hole to mounting hole, when you put them in. Misaligned LCA's will affect thrust angle.Use using a washer that hangs down to the wheel center from a string taped to the fenders on each side helps with centering side to side.
....and for that reason, after the installation, the car should go on a 4 wheel alignment rack, and have the thrust angle adjusted.
Old 06-29-2011 | 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
....and for that reason, after the installation, the car should go on a 4 wheel alignment rack, and have the thrust angle adjusted.
To shed a little light on this. While aligning my '02 SS, we started with the rear. It showed off by .1 degree. Not knowing what to expect, we adjusted the panhard bar. It looked right by eye, but sure enough, a few turns and it was straight on. Your guys with adjustable PHB's need to know that although it seems like a rudimentary rear centering adjustment, it is definitely more than a "driveway" adjustment. Anytime you do an alignment, be sure it's 4-wheel!
Yeah I said this somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension alignment