Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk Quiet Slot Rotor (I know.....)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hawk Quiet Slot Rotor (I know.....)

(.... another brake thread)

Ended up on Tirerack's website for no good reason, mainly because of the other thread asking about blanks and to see what their pricing is these days. To the matter at hand, they have a new listing for Hawk Quiet Slot Rotor in the the 98+ Fbody sizes, HUS8664 front and HUS8265 rear. Apparently this line was shown at 2010 SEMA so it could be old news to some of you.

They aren't cheap at $146 front, $132 rear.

I think these are very new, so I doubt anyone has got a set yet, but if you do don't hesitate to post.

What struck me are their claims about the metallurgy:

Originally Posted by Hawk
Quiet Slot rotors are cast from a proprietary formulation of premium alloys producing a superior performance street product.

* Noise dampening steel formulation.
* Long grain carbon iron for maximum thermal stability.
* Molybdenum additive for high temperature strength and thermal crack resistance.
* Unique alloy blend provides exceptional rotor life and durability.
The coating:

GEOMET is a proprietary water-based coating dispersion containing metal oxides, metallic zinc and aluminum flakes. The zinc and aluminum platelets align in multiple layers forming a metallic silver-gray coating. Applied as a liquid, the coating becomes totally inorganic after curing at 575-600° F (300-315°C).
Wonder if the ad-speak is true.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a nice alternative, im getting tired of my slotted rotors and the sound / pulsing i get when slowing down. i think they are the cheaper powerslot rotors from ws6store, work well with hawk pads though
Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wondered about these too -- just another gimmick? What benefit is there of ANY slot, except in this case as a wear indicator, and wears down your pads faster?! I noticed Strano doesn't even carry them on his site...

"Unidirectional vanes eliminate the need for left and right side rotors." -- but I assume they do not cool as well as directional...

I like how HAZ-Matt's graphic doesn't compare to blanks...

Here's the Brochure:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/blog/...OTOR_BRO_4.pdf

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Hawk Quiet Slot Rotor (I know.....)