Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

What do you guys think are the best way to go for the shocks. The car is used for weekend 1/4 miles. Race weight on the car is close to 3489. I was thinking about doing to Q1A shocks in the rear and then the adj coil overs in the front with 275 or 300 lb springs.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

What else have you done to the suspension? I would do shocks last. How much power are you making? I have the Afco's with the 300 springs on the front and stock springs on the rear. The ride is ok with them. They will help with weight transfer much better then a street type of shock. The QA1's are used by alot of people they are similar to the Afco's.

It depends on what you want the car to do. I've found that when you go to drag race shocks you most likely will need a drag bar for the rear. These cars tend to twist badly and sqwat in the rear.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking of going with QA1 for my front and either stick with Bilstiens or go to Koni SA on the rear. I have a friend that tried the QA1 rears and didn't like them at all. He ended up going back to his Bilstiens on the rear.

I was thinking or using my Strano front springs with the QA1 though.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by michael101
I'm thinking of going with QA1 for my front and either stick with Bilstiens or go to Koni SA on the rear. I have a friend that tried the QA1 rears and didn't like them at all. He ended up going back to his Bilstiens on the rear.
Im surprised he liked the front then as well. They are a loose shock, while also being jarring, worst of both worlds.
I was thinking or using my Strano front springs with the QA1 though.
Seems pretty counterproductive. Strano springs are handling springs, and have much higher rates than stock or QA1 springs. Qa1s are drag shocks and made to be overly loose for weight transfer. Id expect a bouncy harsh ride due to the shocks not being able to dampen the stiffer springs.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Seems pretty counterproductive. Strano springs are handling springs, and have much higher rates than stock or QA1 springs. Qa1s are drag shocks and made to be overly loose for weight transfer. Id expect a bouncy harsh ride due to the shocks not being able to dampen the stiffer springs.
That makes sense. Thanks for that info.

I'm wanting the same thing as 99_LS1_W6. It seems that you can either have a drag setup and not street ride quality or have good street ride quality and not have the weight transfer for the strip.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michael101
That makes sense. Thanks for that info.

I'm wanting the same thing as 99_LS1_W6. It seems that you can either have a drag setup and not street ride quality or have good street ride quality and not have the weight transfer for the strip.
Pretty much it's a compromise at best. It also depends on your tolerance for NVH as for being able to do both. You sure don't want to run any more then the stock Z-28 rated spring with a drag type shock. I don't mind my cars handling with the Afco's. With the sway bars and good street tires it handles good. The roads here are flat and wide though.
I also have a bar and frame connectors to keep the chassis from flexing which helps with the handling. Thats why I would do the shocks last, only when your looking for that last tenth or two on your 60'.
I would do as follows.
1 new street type shocks
2 torque arm with relocation mount get it off the tranny.
3 rear control arms adjustable
4 pan hard bar adjustable
5 frame connectors bolt or weld.
6 right rear air bag
7 MT drag radials if your at 400 hp or less you should be able to hook with these.
8 Then try taking the front sway bar off. Sometimes the car will twist too much with it off. Try different air pressures in the bag
None off this really affects ride quailty too much if you don't run rod ends on both ends of the arms and bars.

Quick Reply: Shocks