Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock Options For Extreme Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Options For Extreme Lowering

I guess I have fallen into this category. My wheel well apex to axle center is 13 1/4" or roughly 26 1/2" from the ground to the wheel well apex. I measured my collapsed shock length from the bushing to the center of the mounting bolt and have 13 1/2" Then I measured from the shock mounting point on the car to the axle mount and have 13 1/2" So when the shocks are installed and the car is on the ground, the shocks are bottomed out. WTF, I don't understand how this is possible, I don't think that I have an extreme drop, but even if I set my fender height at 27" its still only 13 3/4" for my shocks so I would have 1/4" of up travel before bottoming the shocks.

I already bought Edelbrock IAS shocks and have their coilover setup for the front. So right now it looks like I either have to get new shocks, or modify the mounting points by raising the upper mount ~2" and lowering the bottom mount ~2" to get some travel out of the stock replacement shocks.

Now for a different question, where should the shocks be positioned when the car is at ride height? Halfway through their travel?

I guess I'm going to get some measurements and call Edelbrock tomorrow and see if they can get me some IAS shocks that will fit with my setup.

What are some other options??
Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say your best bet is to make a new upper shock mount or buy tubular control arms and then modify the lower shock mount on them
my tubular arms have a perch for the lower shock mount and i dont see any reason why you could not chop it down a good inch or two
btw have you done the upper shock mount mod yet?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can always get the shock bodies and shafts shortened, but thats $$$
Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
i would say your best bet is to make a new upper shock mount or buy tubular control arms and then modify the lower shock mount on them
my tubular arms have a perch for the lower shock mount and i dont see any reason why you could not chop it down a good inch or two
btw have you done the upper shock mount mod yet?
UMI tubular arms are ordered for up front and the UMM is done The back of the car is whats giving me problems. After some better measurements I have 1" of up travel with my rear suspension at a ride height I can live with (27")

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
You can always get the shock bodies and shafts shortened, but thats $$$
I did not know that this could be done, but I think I would be better off with different shocks.

Right now it looks like I'm going to chop off the shock mounts, add 2" to them and call it a day. That will give me 3" of up travel/3" of down travel. Then add a 2" progressive bumpstop to the shock shaft and not worry about it.

If you have a different suggestion, please let me know

Quick Reply: Shock Options For Extreme Lowering