Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange Noises from the Rear Over Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noises from the Rear Over Bumps

Whenever I go over a slight bump my rear suspension makes this horrible noise like something is loose or bouncing around. Ive torqued EVERYTHING to spec multiple times and checked for things hitting and/or rubbing with no luck (suspension loaded/unloaded). A bump as slight as the cracks in my concrete driveway set it off and Im sick of hearing it. Any ideas or pointers of what may be the problem or what to look for??

My rear setup is this:
10 Bolt 4.10s
Energy End Link Bushings
1LE LCA Bushings
Stock Sway Bar Mount Brackets
Energy Jeep Bumpstops
SLP Bilsteins
Stranos
Stock Torque Arm
Stock LCAs
Poly/Rod End SA Panhard Bar
Old 05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a rattle..... Or a rubbing sound
Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Launching!

A rattle
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Launching!

I almost thought it was the axles movin up and down but i checked em for play and nothing.... I put it on the lift with the suspension loaded and tried to replicate the sound by pulling and pushing on different parts but still nothing...
Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Check the sway bar end links
Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Anything with washers
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Its not them they were my first thing i checked. Im gonna put it on the rack again when i get to work today and give everything a good check again. Prolly wont find anything as always though
Old 05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I had this exact same issue last year. When I'd go over a bump it would sound like I got a can full of rocks and threw it at the ground. I had already replaced the axle bearings, carrier bearings, and made sure the everything was buttoned up properly. The problem ended up being the carrier bearing. I think a good place to start would be to put your car on the rack, take off the diff cover, put the car in neutral and spin the tires some to see if you can isolate the sound. Make sure you've got an extra gasket and some gear oil handy.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your U-bolts on the sway body mounts, ensure they are perpendicular and in the groove where they should be.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Didnt get a chance to put it up we were too busy but ive thought it might be the rear end. I have a leaking pinion seal because the bearings going out but havnt had time to replace it. Could it be the cause?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

^ Worn bearings in the diff would sound more like a whirring/slight grinding sound, more at speed --speaking from experience -- had the bearings replaced in both my RS & SS. Perhaps you have a more serious problem in yours, however.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Does it rattle when you shake the exhaust at the tail pipes, car not running of course.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Whenever I go over a slight bump my rear suspension makes this horrible noise like something is loose or bouncing around. Ive torqued EVERYTHING to spec multiple times and checked for things hitting and/or rubbing with no luck (suspension loaded/unloaded). A bump as slight as the cracks in my concrete driveway set it off and Im sick of hearing it. Any ideas or pointers of what may be the problem or what to look for??

My rear setup is this:
10 Bolt 4.10s
Energy End Link Bushings
1LE LCA Bushings
Stock Sway Bar Mount Brackets
Energy Jeep Bumpstops
SLP Bilsteins
Stranos
Stock Torque Arm
Stock LCAs
Poly/Rod End SA Panhard Bar

oh my god, my car has been doing the same thing for a few months now and i took it to a suspension shop and they told me that i had a worn out lower control arm bushing and a worn out exhaust hanger so i replaced them both and it still did it, so i found anouther mechanic to listen to it and look at it and he guaranteed me that it was my rear shocks so i replaced those and it still does it, then he said maybe my driveline going into my differential cause its slightly leaking at the seal there, but i am not sure and dont wanna spend more money replacing stuff to find out it didnt fix a thing, i thought maybe my brake calipers so i replaced those and it still does it, wtf, i am stuck, if you end up finding it before i do please post it as i will do the same for you, it like a rattle/clanking/clunking sound
Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im just throwin this thought out there because it sounds similar to an issue i had with my old T/A. Have you checked the torque arm mount on the trans side?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

well this whole thing got me under the car on all four jackstands checking all bolts and everything i could even think of and i have practically found mine.
hey Stroker give this a try, i believe that this is what mine is, how to fix it, i have no clue yet, hopefully someone can chime in and tell me what they think.. ok soooo

I have the car up on jackstands and grabbed ahold of the spokes on my c6 zo6 wheels and tried wiggling, lifting, bouncing, etc. and when i grab and jerk and pull really really hard i get the exact noise i believe that is going on when i hit bumps, so i switched my wheels back to my stock ones and it still did it. i then made sure my lugnuts were tight enough and they were. well its when i pull and push directly out and in as if i were taking off the wheel or the rotor in the same direction as the wheel studs and it seems to be like as if something is up with the axle or bearings or something, no noise happens if i spin the wheel or anything it just slightly moves a little back and forth on both rear wheels and makes a clunking sound when it reaches the end of the play in that motion.... give it a try and see if thats your noise.... anyone else, please tell me what that could be...
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i get this sound every once and while , its annoying as hell . I need a louder exhaust or louder stereo
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

You sure your exhaust is not hitting the floorboard near the hump over the axle? My RS was with my Borla Adjustable, and I had the first pipe in the system angled the wrong way (it has a slight bend in part of it) -- once that was rotated, it never hit over the axle anymore -- was incredibly annoying.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

well i know that isnt my sound, cause mine is my axles or diff or something of that nature
Old 05-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Finally got it up and checked everything again and the only thing that i could see that looked strange was my springs seemed to start out straight at the bottom and curve towards the front of the car near the middle to top. The springs are on there right lined up with the factory isolator (great condition). I know its probly just from the weight of my huge sub box and amp/rack in the back so im pretty sure its the rearend...
Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

wow i'm getting the same noise over the passenger rear it seems. like a rattling. like something moving back and forth when i hit bumps. it started when i pulled out of a car wash and bottemed out the passenger rear. i tried replicating it when i had it on jackstands i couldnt. glad i'm not the only one whose had this problem. i was thinking it was the axel, or bearing. cuz i checked all the suspension had it all torqued properly and it still did it.

Quick Reply: Strange Noises from the Rear Over Bumps