Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared

Replaced my stock 2002 Z28 19mm rear sway bar with Stano's 22mm non-adjustable (p/n "Hollow 22mm"). Thought others may be interested in the weights of each. Pictures attached for clarification if needed.

Stock 19mm rear sway bar: 6.74lbs

Stock 19mm rear sway bar with hardware: 8.47lbs

Strano 22mm rear sway bar: 5.66lbs

Strano 22mm rear sway bar with hardware: 8.11lbs

I encourage anyone to add pictures of other manufacturer's bars for comparison.

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared-sway_bar_rear_weight_stock_sm.jpg   Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared-sway_bar_and_hdw_rear_weight_stock_sm.jpg   Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared-sway_bar_rear_weight_strano_sm.jpg   Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared-sway_bar_and_hdw_rear_weight_strano_sm.jpg  

Last edited by Mark2002; 10-11-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added stock sway bar size & changed thread title
Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for posting!

I thought the Strano hollow sway bars were supposed to be significantly lighter than the solid factory unit... but you're getting a difference of only 0.36 pounds once all the hardware is back on?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good info, keep in mind the stock swaybar is signifcantly smaller as well so alot more material is needed to make a thicker 22mm swaybar, if this was not a hollow bar it would be heavier than a stocker.

I also thought the weights were a little bit more different than this as well but its still a great part if it improves performance and comes in lighter than stock not always a easy thing to do. breaks for one is ususally something that adds weight for performance
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Well... yeah.

Originally Posted by glhs422
I thought the Strano hollow sway bars were supposed to be significantly lighter than the solid factory unit... but you're getting a difference of only 0.36 pounds once all the hardware is back on?
I guess when you're only at a little over 8 lbs to begin with it helps to define "significant weight savings". By the numbers, a .36 reduction in weight is over 4%. The bar alone is 1.08 lbs lighter which comes out to a 16% weight savings over the stock bar. I suppose if the concern is over weight, one could use the original hardware, although the bushings wouldn't fit the larger diameter bar.

I was pretty impressed the larger diameter Strano bar was as light or lighter than the stocker I removed... to me that was a bonus (for the reasons 82cetuner stated)! And since I replaced the rear bar by itself at the time I was able to notice the difference! The body roll was mostly the same (still riding on the stock front bar), but the understeer I had experienced before the swap was less. Was cool to pinpoint a change to a particular item like that!

Mark.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the point here is that if you are upgrading to beefier bars you'll end up putting on significant weight so there is a price to pay. However, if you are concerned about weight and would like to beef up the bars, Strano is the way to go. You'll have much more stability without the added weight. Compare it to other companies that sell sway bars, the saving in weight is significant.

Basically, you have two choices:
1. Beefier sway bars with no significant weight increase: Strano
2. Beefier sway bars with a significant weight increase: Other vendors

Also, the majority of the weight savings stems from the front bar as opposed to the rear bar.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So are we to assume you zero'd out the scale with the 2x4 on it?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the same bar and love it. I though I saved more weight than that???
Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up Scale was zeroed

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So are we to assume you zero'd out the scale with the 2x4 on it?
I KNEW I forgot something!!!

Considering a 2x4 is roughly ~ a pound per foot...
And the one in the pic is ~ the same length as the sway bar...
Not zeroing the scale would indicate a sway bar somewhere in the 2 pound range...

So yeah, that's a safe assumption

Mark.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

I believe Strano's weight saving claim is about both bars total, and that the front bar is significantly less then stock front. so combined you save lots of weight.

Correct me if i'm wrong Sam.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What stock sway bar are you using? The TA/Z28 bar or the WS6/SS bar? They are different sizes...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock sway bar is not heavy on these vehicles.

The Strano bar is larger, includes heavy duty hardware and still maintains less weight than the factory bar... I think that is pretty good.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

The clamed weight savings with the Strano hollow bars is over other manufatures soild bars of the same size....and yes they work supremely
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The stock sway bar is not heavy on these vehicles.

The Strano bar is larger, includes heavy duty hardware and still maintains less weight than the factory bar... I think that is pretty good.
EXACTLY!

I noticed the decrease in understeer as soon as I put it on. On the other hand I seriously doubt I'd even be able to notice the 8lb reduction of completely removing the rear bar. Point is, there are better places to target weight reduction than the rear sway bar.

Originally Posted by tbird31
What stock sway bar are you using? The TA/Z28 bar or the WS6/SS bar? They are different sizes...
Is there a difference?? I know there is for the front, but I thought the rear's were the same. The one I weighed is off my 2002 Z28. Someone please clarify and I'll update my original post.

Mark.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock rear bar is 19mm from my SS, but now I have Strano's Hellwig bars...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Z28 & SS Rear Bars Both 19mm

Originally Posted by tbird31
Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Stock rear bar is 19mm from my SS
I measured my stock 2002 Z28 rear bar and it's 19mm as well. I updated my original post just to be thorough and clear up any confusion.

Mark.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Default Weigh your bars and post'em up!

I originally intended for this thread to be a factual reference. I've since noticed the way I had it originally posted it limited itself to only 2 bars... stock 19mm and Strano's 22mm! (and my apologies to Sam if it seemed I was diggin' at his product. That was most certainly not my intention at all.) It would be awesome if we could have the weights of all manufacturer's bars in a single location so I changed the thread title to hopefully encourage that. So, if there's anybody out there getting ready to put on a different manufaturer's bar, or even just a different size bar, weigh it, snap a picture and post it up along with manufacturer and the bar size! Yeah, scales vary but something is better than nothing as evidenced by the number of "surprised at the weight" responses so far in this thread. Pictures are preferred since it seems the occassional number from thin air shows up confusing matters. Oh yeah.. and make sure you zero yer scale first

Mark.

Quick Reply: Weights: Rear Sway Bars Compared