Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Considering an entire suspension upgrade, umi good products?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an entire suspension upgrade, umi good products?

Hi, this is literally my first post and I'm new to the LS1 world as well. I just bought my first late model 99 camaro Z28 (my 3rd camaro all together) I love the car to death and I know it has a huge selection of upgrades. I live very close to a very well known fast road course and I want the Z28 to handle like its on rails. It handles pretty good now but I found myself on the UMI performance website and they have pretty much everything I want at very good prices. It may come off as a dumb question but like I said I'm new to this generation of camaro. I only want to do this once and I want to do it with the best parts, does UMI performance have good quality parts for my 99? And has anyone installed these on their cars and do you notice a big difference? I'm planning on doing rear lower control arms and panhard bar kit, front and rear sway bar upgrades, tunnel brace mounted torque arm, 3 point sub frame connectors, chrome moly shock tower brace, stage 5 front suspension kit, rear adjustable shocks and rear springs.

Last edited by 99camaro5.7; 10-09-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: no signature or profile pic showing up
Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camaro5.7
Hi, this is literally my first post and I'm new to the LS1 world as well. I just bought my first late model 99 camaro Z28 (my 3rd camaro all together) I love the car to death and I know it has a huge selection of upgrades. I live very close to a very well known fast road course and I want the Z28 to handle like its on rails. It handles pretty good now but I found myself on the UMI performance website and they have pretty much everything I want at very good prices. It may come off as a dumb question but like I said I'm new to this generation of camaro. I only want to do this once and I want to do it with the best parts, does UMI performance have good quality parts for my 99? And has anyone installed these on their cars and do you notice a big difference? I'm planning on doing rear lower control arms and panhard bar kit, front and rear sway bar upgrades, tunnel brace mounted torque arm, 3 point sub frame connectors, chrome moly shock tower brace, stage 5 front suspension kit, rear adjustable shocks and rear springs.
Use the search function here for "handling".
UMI makes some great parts, definitely would recommend them for certain parts, but most of the parts you listed you don't need at all.
The biggest things you need suspension wise are shocks, springs, swaybars (and good tires of course), everything else is second, and doesn't make nearly as much of a difference. So you don't need SFC's, or LCA's.
Umi doesn't have any shocks or springs for handling, only for drag (QA1s are drag shocks). Check out Stranoparts.com (affiliate of UMI):
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Multiple national SCCA wins with the setup, and it was built ground up for balanced solid handling. Im running this and its nothing short of amazing, great handling and balance, yet still very streetable (more so than stock in some cases).

Don't forget brakes as well, good pads and some blank rotors (drilled are prone to cracking).
Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I find it hard to believe that the stamped steel suspension on these cars are the best that can be done for it to handle. I still think I'm going to to a complete suspension upgrade but I will definitely use different shocks and springs than what UMI sells
Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the stamped steel suspension on these cars are the best that can be done for it to handle. I still think I'm going to to a complete suspension upgrade but I will definitely use different shocks and springs than what UMI sells
Never said it was the best, just not necessary for a great handling car - while you do need good shocks/springs/swaybars. Thats where the money should be spent first suspension wise, you won't see a bigger gain elsewhere, if any at all.
Just stay away from poly bushings (because of binding). Rod ended bushing can be noisy too though. So if its a street car you may want to stick with solid rubber.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Their are alot of sponsors that have great suspension upgrades - I personally have UMI on mine and love it so I guess this answers your question.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

what exactly did you install on your car?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Default A Suggestion... and some UMI experience

Do it like I did... flush your brake system with racing fluid, put some decent brake pads on and get your alignment set with some negative camber to save your tires... Then go to the track twice with your car in it's current state. Enjoy it as is, and learn some things about it (and you ). Then, upgrade the suspension (a bit at a time is preferred) and go back to the track. Cool thing is you'll notice the upgrades more, and enjoy them WAY more because you'll know the difference they make! Plus, if you do them a little at a time, you'll know what upgrade does what.

Oh yeah... I'm running some UMI, and so far I love it. Although the only thing I have to compare it to is stock And I definitely love it better than that!!!

Mark.
2002 Z28 M6
Suspension: Welded Sub-frame Connectors, Strano Springs, Koni 4/4, Strano 35/22 Sway Bars, UMI adj Lower A-Arms, UMI dbl adj LCAs, UMI adj Torque Arm w/Relocation Kit, Fays2 Watts Link
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run all UMI suspension components. All of the parts are of nice quality and have never had an issuue. I have their chassis mount tq arm, adjustable lca's, panhard bar, sfc's and th400 trans mount. I will definately be using their stuff then i do the front end
Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Welcome to LS1tech and thank you for considering the UMI product line! You will find many pleased UMI customers on this board and I feel you would be extremely happy with our product and service.

Like mentioned above a few of the items you have listed won't work well for handling applications, they are intended more for drag racing. QA1 shocks are more of a street and strip shock. We can get you virtually any brand shock even if it isn't listed on our site. Based on what you have mentioned so far I recommend a good shock such as Bilstein or Koni and a good lowering spring. Shock choice depends on budget.

The best thing to do is send me a PM and I would work with your specific application and recommend the best items. You can also call us and speak with Jerry, he is our main tech on staff and would be glad to help set you up.

Let me know your thoughts and I will be glad to help
Ryan
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ive got some UMI parts on my car and have no complaints. Fit perfectly and have lasted.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks alot guys, and i will definitely be contacting UMI in the future to get some of my own!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Do your research first then give umi a call, they're good people and are pretty smart as well. I bought some items from them at carlisle P.A. two weeks ago and i was not disappointed. The guy at their stall in P.A. at the swap meet was more than happy to talk to me, explain the benefits of what each part does and does not do, which would be better for my application and for down the road when i add more parts. because of this i will be doing more business with them. not to mention the instructions are clearly thought and written out when they ship you your parts. UMI in my book A+++ company.

Quick Reply: Considering an entire suspension upgrade, umi good products?