Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Steering not working after shipping car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering not working after shipping car

Ok so I moved to Texas from NJ and had my car shipped out to me '01 Z28 M6 after almost two weeks of waiting finally arrived today but the power steering is not working now I know for a fact the car and power steering was in 100% working condition when it was picked up. The shipping company said it would cover whatever it is to fix it I'm just wondering what it could be?.There is plenty of fluid in the pump and its not making any noise spins just fine I haven't looked under on a lift yet but no noticeable leaks. Could it be the rack got damaged where the idiot strapped it down or from being strapped down for over a week. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OldskOOL01z28
or from being strapped down for over a week.
I don't know what the problem would be, but I can tell you it isn't from being strapped down to long. My car got shipped from New Hampshire to Hawaii, took over a month, and everything was fine when it got to me. Well, everything except for it having ran out of gas, but that's a different story.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM
wrencher

See if the pump shaft got sheered off. Seen that happen before.
Take the belt off, might be able to pull the pulley off the pump.
Either that or it will turn (w/out belt) with absolutely no resistance.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

You could have what is refered to as "morning sickness." GM had a problem with it where in the morning the power steering fluid was cold causing the spool valve in the rack to stick, allowing the fluid to just bypass through the rack, giving the affect of loss of power steering.

The steering tended to come back after the fluid warmed up. Did you try driving it for a little while to see if it came back?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

yea Ive driven it plenty still no response. I'm leaning to the pulley shaft sheered off because once off the ground I can turn the wheel lock to lock no problem, however the pump doesn't seem to be doing any work, I'm going to take the belt off and check the pulley hopefully it is just the pump.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

well took the belt off and I can pull the pulley out completely by hand so I ordered a new pump...can I re-use the stock pulley?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I would re use the pump before the pulley. The pulley is plastic isn't it? It might be better to replace both. It spun for a reason. Don't fix half the problem to only have to replace both again.

It's strange the problem showed up now.

Quick Reply: Power Steering not working after shipping car