Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Brake Upgrade in the WORST Way

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Brake Upgrade in the WORST Way

I need brakes front and rears in the worst possible way. The main purpose of my bird is 50% Sunday driver and 50% drag racing. I am running the stock 16" wheels but would like to put some larger rotors on and don't mind buying new wheels to accommodate them.

I was hoping someone here could give me a good idea of a quality setup. I don't mind paying money for quality because I find if I buy subpar that I end up paying twice anyhow.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I use the Hawk Yellow box ceramics and I was going to try the brackets from 6 Liter Eater so I can run my stock calipers and pads with the bigger rotor. I don't know from experience but I hear the difference is substantial and very inexpensive. I know there are way better set ups but I thought for the money it was good.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driftpin
I need brakes front and rears in the worst possible way. The main purpose of my bird is 50% Sunday driver and 50% drag racing. I am running the stock 16" wheels but would like to put some larger rotors on and don't mind buying new wheels to accommodate them.

I was hoping someone here could give me a good idea of a quality setup. I don't mind paying money for quality because I find if I buy subpar that I end up paying twice anyhow.

Thanks for the help.
There are 4 popular choices when it comes to brake upgrades, which are as follows:

C5/C6 upgrade. Requires adaptor brackets to space out the caliper bracket from the knuckle. Many sponsors sell it as an entire kit. Uses 13" rotors with either stock F-body calipers or C5/C6 calipers. The Corvette calipers have the advantage of being pressure cast instead of gravity cast which results in a stiffer caliper body. This upgrade will fit under a 17" wheel.

C6 Z51 upgrade. Uses the same knuckle adaptor brackets and calipers as the C5/C6 upgrade, but with caliper brackets and rotors from a Z51 Corvette. The rotors are 13.4" cross drilled. Requires 18" wheels.

CTS-V upgrade. See my sticky thread at the top of this forum. Uses 14" rotors from a C6 Z06 and calipers from an 04-07 CTS-V. Requires no knuckle adaptor brackets or knuckle modifications, but custom hoses are required, FlynBye Performance sells them.. Essentially a bolt-on, 18" wheels with the PROPER OFFSET are required. May require wheel spacers for certain wheel designs and offsets.

C6 Z06 upgrade. Uses C6 Z06 rotors and 6 piston PBR calipers. Requires the same knuckle adaptor bracket as the C5/C6 upgrade. 18" wheels are requires, and offset and caliper spacing are critical just as in the CTS-V upgrade.

All the upgrades provide a decent to drastic difference over stock, just depends how much you want to spend and how much performance you are looking for.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
There are 4 popular choices when it comes to brake upgrades, which are as follows:

C5/C6 upgrade. Requires adaptor brackets to space out the caliper bracket from the knuckle. Many sponsors sell it as an entire kit. Uses 13" rotors with either stock F-body calipers or C5/C6 calipers. The Corvette calipers have the advantage of being pressure cast instead of gravity cast which results in a stiffer caliper body. This upgrade will fit under a 17" wheel..
Thank you for the great info.

Can you tell me which one's, if any of the board's sponsors carry this upgrade in a kit? I could chase down all the individual parts but I'd rather give the business to a board LS1Tech sponsored store.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

I found a decent C5 Upgrade set up at Maryland Speed and have done business with them before with fantastic customer service. Thanks for your great info and help again Wessman.

And Goldcuuffs
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driftpin
Thank you for the great info.

Can you tell me which one's, if any of the board's sponsors carry this upgrade in a kit? I could chase down all the individual parts but I'd rather give the business to a board LS1Tech sponsored store.
No prob!!

Glad you located at kit from the sponsors. As far as I know, nobody sells a kit for the CTS-V or C6 Z06 upgrades.

Quick Reply: Need Brake Upgrade in the WORST Way