Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thanks for a great first HPDE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Thanks for a great first HPDE!

Participated in my first HPDE yesterday at Road Atlanta. The experience was an absolute blast and I look forward to participating in future events. I post this in this section to offer my THANKS to all who helped me with the suspension and brake questions I had prior to the event!

As for the prep work – I had a couple issues to solve prior to getting on the track. I was cutting rear tires on my fenders and my brakes simply did not work (at all) at high speeds. Installed new shocks all around, new adjustable panhard bar, rolled the fenders, slapped on Nitto 555R II's and went with race pads on new blank rotors. Went through the standard list of fluid updates (fresh synthetic oil change + 1 extra quart, fresh bleed on brakes with ATE Super Blue, PS Pump with Mobil One Synthetic ATF, fresh bleed on the clutch, coolant flush and fill + water wetter). Also had a scrunchie for the PS Pump cap. Probably a bit over-prepared.

At the track: ZERO road course experience coupled with a brand new setup on the car helped me get off to a very slow start. I was a bit nervous to learn about the cars braking and handling limits so I was definitely the guy that everyone was blasting past!

I developed an understanding of the ideal lines and once I figured out the new brakes (Hawk DTC-30 front and HP+ rear) will work to slow it down quickly from high speeds, I started to have some real fun. I passed my first cars in the second session and by the third and fourth sessions I felt like I was running through the track pretty well (for a completely green, novice driver). I truly have a new found appreciation for the skill (and intestinal fortitude) required to drive at speeds well in excess of what I was doing and consistently replicate the results!

That was some of the most fun I've ever had in my car.

Everyone's always interested to hear what "car problems" I encountered during the day. My list is a very small and manageable one:

1. Melted the plastic tabs that hold in my replica C6 wheel center caps (front brake temps). Will replace them and simply pull them out prior to my next event. You live, you learn.
2. Did throw a P0101 code (MAF or MAP related) right at the end of the last session and the car was sluggish. I think that has a lot to do with going on the track with the same N2O tune I use on the street. Running really rich at WOT without any spray to compliment. Cleared the code and everything seems to be OK. Next time I think I'll be sure to adjust to a N/A tune and should be good to go.
3. While I was learning the track and lines we minimized the shifting and we went a couple laps primarily in 4th gear (3.90 rear). The car would choke out a bit at lower RPM climbs up the hills. Once I was better at handling the car we hit those portions of the track in 3rd gear – problem solved.
4. No real PS pump issues – did have a little fluid on the scrunchie, however didn't get the whine or failure.
5. Everything else is good to go. Brakes, clutch, tires, etc. all were good for the drive home and I even brought the car to the office today.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Addictive!

Fun huh!

My wife surprised me with an HPDE for my birthday last year... She may be regretting it now... I've attended 3 so far, and my 4th is coming up next month

Mark
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

HAHA! I completely understand. Already trying to make arrangements to participate in my 2nd one next month!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! A little prep makes for a lot more fun.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club! It is addicting. Everything else is just boring now, isn't it?