Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

High speed vibration and I checked EVERYTHING!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....So far so good with the new rear end and driveshaft. I had to buy yet another one since the 9" is about an inch shorter than the 10 bolt was. With all the vibrations I have had in the driveline, plus the inch short driveshaft for about 100 miles, I was advised to replace the bushing in the tail shaft of the trans. I'll try to tackle that tomorrow but for now, here are some pics. As you can see, I scratched the HELL out of the housing dropping it off the jack once when it was nearly in place. I pooped a bit since I was right under it at the time.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know I have to say I have a similar problem on my SS, I would describe it like a fast wobbly vibration when I juice-it around 60 mph and up. So far I have had the U-Joints & Trans-Mount replaced, and just had all four wheels balanced... I am wondering if it could have anything to do with welded SFCs?! Since in my case SFCs were done on a 2-post lift, instead of a 4-post lift -- i.e. the suspension was not poised during the welding.

OP, are your SFCs welded? If so, on a 2 post lift?

Here is my ongoing thread:
http://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-ge...ss-shop-62293/

Originally Posted by Alex41
Well......I had the wheels fixed but they weren't the bulk of the problem. Yes, the car is a bit better but it still has the shimmy in the seats at 65+. I'm out of time to get it fixed before the road trip so I'll just have to see how badly it shakes on the way but damnit, I don't want to deal with this anymore.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

They are welded in but I bolted them to the LCA's, let the car sit at ride height, then tacked them in place. After that I picked it back up and finished the welding.

That's the way I was told to do it by multiple suspension people. Was that right?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Do u have aftermarket rims? I ask because this happened to me and I couldn't figure it bout till I took the wheel off and noticed the hub was alot smaller then the the rims bore I put hub centric rings and problem solved I did everythin balance new tires u joint helped a little but the shake was still there till I but the rings
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Nope, I have 02 speedlines on there.

I rulled out the rims today by using my friend's stock camaro wheels and tires with no change.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

GOT IT!!!!!

For those of you who were following this thread I finally got it the other day. I can't stress enough to everyone out there to do the work yourself. This way you know it's done right.

The other night I was trying to sleep but couldn't get this vibration issue out of my head. I can't explain how I came to this conclusion but I saw a quick image of some stick on wheel weights on a rim and it got me to thinking. The shop that balanced my wheels, twice, used stick on weights only. If any of you have ever worked in a tire shop you will know that just putting the stick on weights in the middle of the rim will ALWAYS result in repeat vibrations.

I went to the auto hobby shop on base and balanced my wheels myself checking them for imbalance first. None of them were WAY off but all of them were out a little. The worst is still the driver's rear wheel. It has an up and down hop that is either the whell or the tire but the vibration is nearly 90% gone now.

Any one think I have a legal leg to stand on here? I think that if the job was done right the first time or even second time, then I would have never had to go replacing my car from the driveshaft back. Someone needs to be made accountable for this HUGE mistake.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Wow, I just had my wheels balanced, but I still have this vibration around 65-70 -- my guess now is it wasn't done meticulously. Hrmm... Looks like it's time to go back again.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Wow, so for someone placing some stick-on wheel weights wrong you paid all that money for a moser 9''...

Yeah I used to work at a tire shop, before joining the army and when I was stationed in AZ I bought tires from pepboys for my wifes pontiac vibe and they put on sticky wheel weights. I inspected the wheels really well and I they didnt even clean off the brake dust before throwing on the sticky weights. So I went 5 miles down the road, drove back and showed them the wheel weights coming halfway off already. To top it off one of the tires where brand new when i bought the car the other three where shot. So I told them to put that tire in the back of the car because there was no use in throwing away a perfectly good tire, but I wanted a new even set all the way around on my wifes car. So they put the tire in the back of the car alright... with armor all and grease everywhere. They didnt bother putting down plastic or putting it in a trashbag or anything. Looked like the guy chucked it in the back and it bounced around and touched almost every surface of the back. Needless to say they ended up paying a 100 dollar detailing bill i brought to them. But COME ON, some guys have no friggin common sense.

Last edited by WS6_Veteran; 10-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

So you feel my frustration here huh?

It really is terrible that this was all it was. Yes, I have a great suspension now but that wasn't what I wanted to have to spend money on.

When I worked at NTB back in 00-01 we would get repeat cusomers all the time with sticky weight issues. Most of them just did like I did and said **** it with the pretty look of the wheel and used hammer on weights. I really can't believe I didn't look into this before but to have re balanced them a month down the road with the same result...... I just don't know man.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So your problem is fixed now...?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

So far so good. I still have a small vibration from the "hop" in the drives rear wheel but that is VERY tollerable in comparison.

I imagine that a new set of wheels (custom or aftermarket) and tires will eliminate everything. That was my goal from the start but I'm still undecided on what wheels to run.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Launching!

wow... I feel so lucky with my car problems compared to this. Thank you for posting your solution. The amount of time, effort and money you spent on this is insane.
If you have some sort of documentation showing the tire shop screwed up with their stick-on weights, and then showed negligence (or something like that) towards fixing it, it seems like you could at least get some free tires. But without documentation they'd prolly just laugh at you
Sticky Weight > 9" Simpley incredible

Quick Reply: High speed vibration and I checked EVERYTHING!