Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sophn Torque Arm Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sophn Torque Arm Clicking

I installed a shopn torque arm on a 02 SS and ever since it clicks like there is slack in the drivetrain or something. It only does it when your are driving and you come to a stop and go to take off again. It will make the clicking noise (slack) when a transfer from power to braking to power again. I called the tech line and they told me the upper front bolt is loose. So i tighted it and made sure all the bolts were as tight as i can get them, but its still makes the noise. Its a real nuecense in stop and go traffic. I sure hope someone can help, because its bad enough that its not worth the gains in acceleration and handling over the stock crap. Maybe something else is making the noise, but its hard to replicate the problem while under the car. The car has stock suspension with this torque arm, subframe connectors, lower control arms, upper strut bar and all bolt ons like full exhuast, intake, 3.73 gears, ect.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you fill both grease fittings on the front?
Old 02-27-2004, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Which spohn T/A do you have?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I have the same problem. I hear mine when shifting from 1st to 2nd. what I have been told is that when you release the load on the drivetrain the T/A just amplifies the sounds from the slack in the drivetrain because there is no flex in the new T/A like there was in the old one.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same exact problem with my stock torque arm now. The fore and aft motion of the vehicle makes a *click* *clunk* noise. It is especially noticable coming to a complete stop when the weight of the car is shifted forward, then shifts back. Sound seems like it is coming from the floorboard under the driver and front passenger seats. Started happening and got progressively worse after launching on ET Streets. I was assuming my stock torque arm was tweaked or bent and was binding up in the front. I was hoping the spohn torque arm i have coming in would resolve the issue.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Teching In

I have the sophn adj torque arm LS1 F-body w/ long tubes item #405.
I tried greasing it awhile back but i will try that again. If anyone else is having the same prob and has found a solution please inform. I called sophn tech and they said thats the way it is and i should get use to it!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally I hadn't greased mine, greasing definately helped some, also, when I tightened that top nut, it took me putting the car on a lift, hanging on the wrench while my friend pushed up on the other wrench, only moved like 1/4 turn, but fixed all the noise. Also, be sure the nuts that hold the rear rodends in place are tight.. they are loose often from spohn.

Quick Reply: Sophn Torque Arm Clicking