Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lug nut torque observation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default lug nut torque observation

just throwing this out there FWIW

I purchased a set of ZR1s to replace my factory 16's and bolted them on in my garage - I used a 4-way wrench and basically used my body weight to torque them on as tight as I possibly could... thinking there was no way I could get 'em on as tight as the impact wrench they used at the tire shops

my mistake

immediately I noticed a ton of resistance when driving down the road... almost as if someone was gently pulling on the e-brake. I also noticed a slight grinding/moaning sound. I searched and asked around and chalked it up to the wider wheels/tires having more rolling resistance...

until a member told me they needed to be torqued to 100ft/lbs. So, I have both the click-type and the manual bar-type torque wrenches and unless they're both wrong, my lugs were torqued to right around 180ft/lbs +/-

I removed every wheel, rotated them about the hub, and reinstalled - all at 100ft/lbs. Immediately I noticed a huge difference - no more resistance or grinding whatsoever. Besides 'tracking' all over the street, it feels the same as my 16's did before

**I dont know what/if any effect over-torquing the lugs has do do with the resistance or grinding I felt but that was the only thing I changed about the car and it 100% fixed the issue**
Old 06-15-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have broken bolts loose with my 4-way that the tire shop could not with an impact wrench so yes, you can get more torque with a 4-way.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes a quality 4 way lug nut wrench can do that for you
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
just throwing this out there FWIW

I purchased a set of ZR1s to replace my factory 16's and bolted them on in my garage - I used a 4-way wrench and basically used my body weight to torque them on as tight as I possibly could... thinking there was no way I could get 'em on as tight as the impact wrench they used at the tire shops
Are you SERIOUS???

Invest in a torque wrench!!

Quick Reply: lug nut torque observation