Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins or KYB AGX on 02 WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 for bilsteins. If only I was smart enough to buy the d*** springs when I put them on.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 138 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Anyone who is supporting by buying "Made in America"...Congratulations...your car isn't!
Well I was going to stay out of this but........ya can't seem to leave well enough alone.

I am 8th generation American and yes I buy American whenever I can. Now Canada, we have the same Heritage so i consider them American also. I just Installed my Monroe " Made in America by Americans" They have a Nice Smooth Ride and the BEST Part is that I only have to buy them once! They're Warrenty states that if they wear out just bring them back for a FREE new pair. I drove in a TransAm last week that had Bilstien shocks and I thought that they were rather stiff. So to eack his own.

And yes to ALL of those " Yea Sam you go get him: Grow Up!!

Sam Strano not Bashing you but for you ta say that Monroe "Sucks" thats your Opinion.[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You make me laugh.

First, enough with the flag-waving. I'm an American too, you don't have a monopoly on that. I bet I buy/use more American products in a day than you do in year. Koni is owned by ITT, an American company. My swaybars are made for me in California. My springs have not been made here as I could not find the things I wanted here. But I'm looking at changing that if at all possible, no promises. I go through a lot of Hoosier tires (made in Indiana). In fact I'll use probably 30-40 this year alone (and they cost $400 a piece). So *PLEASE* spare me. You are simply stepping on your own junk here.

Speaking of junk... Monroe Sensatrac's are that, complete crap valving wise. I'd rather run new SS deCarbon's. And it's fine if you think I'm a communist for that, but I'm not the only one who thinks that. And fwiw, I have a Corvette that was built in Kentucky too, not a Camaro built in Ste. Therese, Quebec. I did have one, I sold it because it was time, not because it was built in Canada. If you were the "american" you claim to be, you'd sell your car and buy a Mustang or Corvette. So until you do I'm not really interested in hearing your blow-hole.

FWIW, I find this tedious, and I have the confrontation. But everytime you do this, I get to answer and point out all your errors and lack of understanding. So, if you insist on continuing to spew the crap, I'm game.

Let me finish with this not so subtle reminder. I do more for this country as a business owner (buying product, paying taxes, shipping parts and keeping those folks in work, etc.). This country was built on small-business. Which is why I think your Wal-mart crack is so freaking funny, I'm as far from Wal-Mart as you can get.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
I've personally never spoken with anyone pleased with them.
I purchased by AGXs because I was on a budget, and my stock shocks were completely trashed so I knew they'd still be much better than what I had.

Another classy thread, btw.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
I purchased by AGXs because I was on a budget, and my stock shocks were completely trashed so I knew they'd still be much better than what I had.
Yeah, they're better than stock, that's for sure. But everyone I've spoken with - friends included - have always felt there could have been more to the shocks. Like they left off a few key details with the valving adjustment that could have made them so much better. On a budget, they're better than some replacements, but with the price of Bilsteins crazy low at ws6store and packages from sponsors, it's more difficult to consider the AGXs. I think people fall for the "adjustable" gimmick, or at least my two friends admitted they did. haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Go with Koni's. Why? Because I said so
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

my hawk came with bilsteins from the factory and I love the way it rides. way better than the stock suspension i had on my old 98 TA.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

If I was on a budget, I'd get Bilsteins, and maybe get them revalved down the road. Of course, that makes the point others have made on this board: You could just save up and then get the adjustable Koni's.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

my car has 270,000 miles on it i put 170,000 on it since ive owned it (5 years) i put monroe sensacraps on it at 150,000, at 151,000 i put my stock decarbons back on and used the warranty they came with to get my money back, at 170,000 i put kyb agx's on (they were MUCH better than stock) at 210,000 the kyb's were pretty much seized they had completely blown and been dry for prob 5 months they would move with a hammer when removed. then i put bilstiens with slp springs. the stage 2 ss set up. was by far the best so far the car felt so much better at high speeds and rode dec. then at 260,000 i upgraded again to bmr springs and koni's and boy do i wish i saved myself the hassle, time and money. the car rides beautiful, handles beautiful and most of all feels like your behind the wheel of a sports car not grandmas caddy. i will always run koni from now on, my friends will always run koni from now on.

IMO wait save your money for the konis. ive owned them all and had lots of time with them all. but if you cant wait

bilstiens. because they were still good when i took them out after 50K

Last edited by bwkmaro; 02-07-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save up? I love the DA konis. Damnit, I love em. I have many supporting suspension mods, but they work well. Not like the Penskes on my bike, but they are the next best thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Notice how there are 3 folks here who tried the other aftermarket shocks and once they finally gave in and went for the Koni's how much they are gushing about the performance and comfort and how they wished they bought them in the first place!

To the OP, if you want a GREAT handler, the Koni's are the way to go simply because you can adjust them to whatever springs you have be it the stock springs or any other aftermarket spring setup, they'll still respond and respond in a FANTASTIC manner!

if you go with aftermarket springs that lower your car, Koni's are the way to go!

I have 600lb front springs and 200lb rears due to my stereo setup, I'm carrying more weight in the back than most folks and if you ride in my car you'd swear that it's more comfortable and smoother ride than factory setup but once you hit the gas and really start pushing it your car will be more responsive than you dare push it it's THAT obvious.

But I also have Sam's hollow front and rear sways, adjustable panhard bar, and SFC's so that helps a lot as well.

Notice I still have the factory LCA's and factory front end save for the Wilwood front brakes, the rest of the suspension is factory even the rubber bushings and my car still kicks ***!!!

Koni's are THAT much better.

More money? Absolutely.

Are they worth it?

Absolutely.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
my car has 270,000 miles on it i put 170,000 on it since ive owned it (5 years) i put monroe sensacraps on it at 150,000, at 151,000 i put my stock decarbons back on and used the warranty they came with to get my money back,
OP I'm not sure which one personally to vote for.

However, I can testify to the fact that Monroe Sensatracs are crap. My rear decarbons went bad a few months ago, and I put these Monroes on. Felt improvement for about a week, then gradually degraded to the blown decarbon level, then continued degrading. I'm now saving up for the good stuff. Just wish I still had my blown decarbons to put back on.

And to the "buy american" guy - I'd love to buy American, but Monroe is junk!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Smile

So alot of people saying bilstein is better....but I hear some people saying that on rough roads its not....would AGX be better for DD than bilstein? I am curious because I need new shocks and DD is my thing and having a comfortable ride on a rough road would be nice

my shocks aren't bad I just want something more comfortable. 98 Trans am with 46k miles....
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1121
Anyone who is supporting by buying "Made in America"...Congratulations...your car isn't
Well I was going to stay out of this but........ya can't seem to leave well enough alone.

I am 8th generation American and yes I buy American whenever I can. Now Canada, we have the same Heritage so i consider them American also. I just Installed my Monroe " Made in America by Americans" They have a Nice Smooth Ride and the BEST Part is that I only have to buy them once! They're Warrenty states that if they wear out just bring them back for a FREE new pair. I drove in a TransAm last week that had Bilstien shocks and I thought that they were rather stiff. So to eack his own.

And yes to ALL of those " Yea Sam you go get him: Grow Up!!

Sam Strano not Bashing you but for you ta say that Monroe "Sucks" thats your Opinion.
just what exactly does your 8th generation status earn you? ur ancestors maybe slayed some indians when THEY were IMMIGRANTS in this continent? ur granpappy wrestled with Geronimo himself in 1866?
obviously you dont have any insight as to how corporate america works....not even a keen ability to determine the set of shocks u talk about SUCK.

You see lots of USA co.'s get their manuf. done in CHINA or basically overseas. The quality of your monroes is on par with those manuf.'s.

Your would be "patriotism" coupled with your continued practice and display of ignorance here...alongside with your misinformation.....don't leave any doubt as to what your political inclinations are. You practice the stupid value systems of most right wing extremists....and its exactly their type of voting that has ruined our country...u voted for bush twice..u likely beleive abortion is a problem and the immigrant leafblower is stealing all your wages. You care for the rich to not be taxed harder even though your not one...you call Mr.obama a marxist....you beleive all your party'ss ridiculous pure fabricated emails they pass around like children....and most of all you want that black guy out of there just becuz dammit!! nevermind the senate opposing him every god damm step and they did so without regarding to our citizens best interests only to oppose him. You likely have no problem with that? tho?

Yea your an american alright....an american ignorant. Those are well known internationally. It's tuff for the rest of us to prove and show others we're not all like you.

Don't chew on that. Gulp it down....McCain gimp lover becuz its the sad truth.
The road to hell was paved with good intentions. You want to do this great country a favor.? Read get educated. And practice less ignorance.
Clone the fugg out of that too.

More news for you!! Canada does NOT have the same heritage.

Last edited by License2Ill; 02-09-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I hate how these threads get off topic so quickly, but I enjoy a good debate.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

A lot of talk about konis and bilsteins, what about Eddelbrock or QA1 coil overs? Are they better for handling and comfort than the konis/bilsteins?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
A lot of talk about konis and bilsteins, what about Eddelbrock or QA1 coil overs? Are they better for handling and comfort than the konis/bilsteins?

Koni's and Bilstein's are more geared for canyon carving where as QA1's are very soft and geared for the 1/4 mile.

with our cars it's either handling or 1/4, can't do both, if you try your ride will be very compromised.

Edelbrocks? No idea
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Koni's and Bilstein's are more geared for canyon carving where as QA1's are very soft and geared for the 1/4 mile.

with our cars it's either handling or 1/4, can't do both, if you try your ride will be very compromised.

Edelbrocks? No idea
Why so? Arent there parts out there that will allow you to adjust for what you are doing? adj swaybars, adj shocks, adj pinion angle, adj toe/camber, pan hard, LCA angle.......

You can take a factory ride and either drag, carve, or cruise with it, why can't you do all three with better (adj) parts?

Not trying to cause a funk or upset anyone, just curious why our cars are always labeled one or the other...
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Eddlebrock are supposedly setup similar to bilstiens (Sam correct me if im wrong) but are height adjustable only (no adjustable dampening).
QA1s are non-gas charged drag shocks and horrible for handling and ride quality.

Why so? Arent there parts out there that will allow you to adjust for what you are doing? adj swaybars, adj shocks, adj pinion angle, adj toe/camber, pan hard, LCA angle.......

You can take a factory ride and either drag, carve, or cruise with it, why can't you do all three with better (adj) parts?

Not trying to cause a funk or upset anyone, just curious why our cars are always labeled one or the other...
I think what hes getting at is its difficult to do both to their best. BUT, an all out handling car is going to launch WAY better than an all out drag car can turn.
Some things that help handling like lowering springs will hurt launch (i guess you can always change them out when you go to the dragstrip). And things like tall soft dragsprings, over sized rear swaybar hurt handling (although can be changed).
You're likely to get a better launch with drag shocks, but greatly sacrifice handling/stability/ride quality while handling shocks aren't going to transfer weight like a drag shock (because they are valved not to).
A heavier rear end like a 12 bolt also hurts handling (especially with a drag-type differential).
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Hey no worries buddy
Drag racing and autoX/road racing/canyon carving requires a vehicle to have sharpened very responsive instantaneous rightfuckingnow response time to switch from lefts and rights, this requires that your suspension be more responsive, and depending on how great you want your car to handle, you would buy parts to make it do just that.

An f-body geared for the drags is set up entirely opposite due to the desired weight transfer from front end to rear end, that is, when you take off from a dead start REAL HARD you want your car to literally shift as much weight to the rear axle quickly in order to get a GREAT Launch.
This is done by having a much softer suspension and shocks to allow for the weight transfer to happen faster.
A stiffer suspension with stiffer shocks prevents your f-body from allowing the weight transfer to occur.

It doesn't mean that you can't use Konis for the 1/4 miles but your technique has to be spot-on in order to do this AND bottom line your launch time will be compromised, probably GREATLY compromised.

Look at a NASCAR Sprint Cup car and a pro stock 1/4 miler car and it's obvious just how different they're set up, you can actually see a drag car bouncing around the suspension is that soft!

QA1 shocks cannot be adjusted to be stiff enough to handle the twisties, Konis cannot be adjusted to be soft enough to have effective weight transfer UNLESS they're revalved which negates their great handling properties
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Nice explanation highlife!

Better than all that bullshit I just typed LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Bilsteins or KYB AGX on 02 WS6?