Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilstein's in stock... Still $384.99/set

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Default SLP Bilstein's in stock... Still $384.99/set

SLP had a price hike on these, but I decided to hold the line on the pricing as long as I could, so the price is still $384.99/set. Sooner or later they will be going up to around $399/set.... but not yet. So if you are looking for some, I've got them in stock ready to ship!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great daily driver shocks on a budget!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you suggest these over konis. Also I've wanted to ask you are the hds better than the regular ones on a lowered car?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Are these acceptable for a standard ride height/sprung car?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mpatton
Would you suggest these over konis. Also I've wanted to ask you are the hds better than the regular ones on a lowered car?
Koni's are pretty much as good as it gets, but they also cost a lot more money. If you don't need or want the adjustment then the SLP Bilstein's are the next best choice and since they are about $500 less a set they are a pretty good bargain for a well built shock. No they don't have as much rebound damping as Koni's do but way more than a stock shock, or a parts store replacement.

As for the HD question, I think there is some confusion on your end on that one. HD's are "regular" Bilsteins. SLP's and HD's are the same valving now (never used to be), and we can buy and sell "SLP's" cheaper than "HD's" in bulk.

If your car is lowered, and you want it to work as best it can for as long as it can then I would recommend a Koni. However, the Bilstein's work well on moderate lowering springs for a few years, and many opt to do that way to save the $500.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Are these acceptable for a standard ride height/sprung car?

They are.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

:hmm: I'm looking to replace my Bilstein HD's that I've had on the car since '05. Running Prokit springs that will also be replaced, as well. I wanted the car to ride better and considered spending more money, but wasn't sure which shock to go with. Sounds like Koni's are they way to go, but is the difference significant?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, it's a huge difference. I don't know why folks think Koni and Bilstein are so similar other than both are good quality and from Europe. Beyond that they are not more alike than a Audi vs. a BMW.

Koni's set down at full soft are similar to Bilstein's... nobody I know who has Koni's (and therefore the choice of damping levels) opts to run the Koni's at that setting.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm currently running Bilstein HD's that I put on the car back in '05. Are the ones you're selling the same shock?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No. To begin with, what I'm selling are new, not 6 years old. Further, the valving of what I have is different than HD's from that time period.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
No. To begin with, what I'm selling are new, not 6 years old. Further, the valving of what I have is different than HD's from that time period.
6 years ago, the ones I currently have on my car were new, so that's irrelevant. All I was asking was if it was the same shock, just under a different name, was all.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's not irrelevant, what you have have 6 years of wear. A lot of folks think that shocks never get any weaker (not saying you are one of them), just pointing out that aside from the fact the valving is not the same, even if it was---the actual amount of damping force wouldn't be the same.

6 year old HD's are not the same as current HD's, which *are* the same as current SLP's. Current SLP's aren't the same as 6 year old SLP's either.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

current HD's, which *are* the same as current SLP's.

This answers my question. As for the rest, anyone w/ any common sense would already know that. :p
Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well it's the internet, common sense is severely lacking. Don't take it personally, every time I assume someone would know something I'm usually proven wrong. And since others are reading this, I kind of try to make things plain.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bilsteins are miles ahead of the stock shocks. My car pitched and wallowed over uneven pavement on the stockers, now it is much more controlled. My stock springs are cut a coil for a 1" drop and the car rides much better with the Bilsteins than it did at the stock 4x4 height on the stock shocks.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

SLP had a price hike on these, but I decided to hold the line on the pricing as long as I could, so the price is still $384.99/set. Sooner or later they will be going up to around $399/set.... but not yet. So if you are looking for some, I've got them in stock ready to ship!
Hi sam, i live in the uk and have the iebach pro kit on factory shocks which i had fitted a year ago and gives it the perfect stance, and have never had any handling problems, but as the car is nearly 12 years old the factory shocks will need replacing at some stage so was wondering about a good shock without loosing the the drop i have with the iebach pro kit.
It's a 99 transam with 18" wheels with 40,000 miles, thanks colin. Oh my avatar pic you see hear is before it was lowered.

Last edited by firebatbirdv8; 06-22-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

At some stage was about 12 years ago. Seriously when you feel the difference you'll be stunned.

This is a conundrum. Koni's are certainly better long term, and offer that much better control when driving the car spiritedly. But your stock shocks are so poor that the Bilstein's would look amazing in comparison. I guess it's a matter of how far you want to go. No shock will cause your spring drop to disappear.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni's set down at full soft are similar to Bilstein's... nobody I know who has Koni's (and therefore the choice of damping levels) opts to run the Koni's at that setting.
I run mine at full soft. Can't say I like them very much, the rear still kicks like a mule over large bumps. (stock height with stock springs)

More planted in the corners, yes, and less boucing as well, but it still rides horrible.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will be buying some bilisteins from you soon. I would like to spend the coin on konis but the ol lady would get pissed lol. Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Launching!

How about bilstein up front and konis on the back?

I purchased the bilstein/strano springs combo from you last christmas, and now I am thinking about getting konis for the rear. will it produce a noticeable gain in the handling department?

Quick Reply: SLP Bilstein's in stock... Still $384.99/set