Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thinkin about ground control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin about ground control?

what do you guys think about the ground control kit ? as listed on the website it seems pretty cool....

but just wondering is that kit on their website just for the front or is that for both front and rear any input is much appreciated

thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running ground controls with Bilsteins right now. I actually like my set up as it is, I wish I could have spent the extra coin on some Koni's but hey you gotta work with what you got. The good thing about ground controls is that they use linear springs and you can choose what height and spring rate you want. The main reasoning behind why I bought the ground control set up is for the adjustable ride height. After seeing a **** ton of pictures of 4th gen F bodies with the exact same wheel/tire set ups and exact same spring set ups but had large variances in wheel gap, I decided I needed something adjustable.

The kit on the ground control site includes all four corners. That's four springs with four adjustable collars.

Another plus is that if at some point you need to increase your spring rate because you've changed directions with the car (autocross to drag for example) or you move to an iron block engine you can easily get new springs to handle the extra weight. Also, the 2.5" diameter springs for these kits are available readily, meaning that a pair of springs is relatively cheap and easy to get your hands on.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Launching!

ok cool well glad to hear all the good news i think i may go with this option very soon

and yeah i do have koni's still sitting in the boxes and i was a lilttle bit stuck on what i wanted to do on lowering springs but i think i hhave made up my descision unless someone else can convince me otherwise lol!!

but handling wise how is it?
is the ground control kit better for handling then just loweing springs or is it just comprable or what lol
Old 06-24-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven a few different f bodies with varying suspension set UPS and I would say its comparable. I think the biggest advantage in the handling department is the linear rates and the ability to change spring rates easily. Lowering springs designed for these cars are based around stock curb weight, stock tires, etc. It gives you tuneability, some people prefer a looser set up than others.l for example.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

ok cool thanks for all the info much appreciated!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Its a very nice setup if you're looking for some mad cornering ability. I have it on my Koni 4/4's and the ride ht adjustability is sweet also. I'm actually trying to make a 1/4 mile car and am about to buy some drag shocks, so I've got my whole setup for sale with 2 sets of springs if you're interested at all..
Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Launching!

anyone else that can chime in...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is that I've been wanting to switch to a Koni/GC combo for a while now.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lt1white_bird
anyone else that can chime in...
I don't see how there could be anything wrong with it as long as you know what spring rates you want and you pair it with good shocks. Like already stated adjustable ride height, and various spring rates to experiment with is not a bad thing, you can tune the car to your liking.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Launching!

the thing is i wouldnt know what kind of spring rates i want

or how to choose ya know whhat i mean lol
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

550 front 150 rear is a good place to start. Choosing springs depends on a huge range of factors, like environment, driving style, driving intention (is it a road racer? drag car? street only?), swaybar size, and how it affects other suspension components.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

I heard nothing but good things about ground controls. my buddy has them on his car (we both have very similar suspension mods, minus the springs of course)and it handles much better than my car with sportlines. the secret is, GC have a full race eibach springs used on race cars like indy, scca, etc. far superior to the mass produced pro-kit, sportline kit that eibach has.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=67

Last edited by 808z28camaro; 06-27-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Launching!

well the car is my DD and it wont be a autocross car , i drag it a couple of times a year more just a car i wanna have fun with and cruise with and have it handlewell so you still think 550 up front and 150 in the rear is still alright
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 808z28camaro
I heard nothing but good things about ground controls. my buddy has them on his car (we both have very similar suspension mods, minus the springs of course)and it handles much better than my car with sportlines. the secret is, GC have a full race eibach springs used on race cars like indy, scca, etc. far superior to the mass produced pro-kit, sportline kit that eibach has.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=67
Honestly, the secret is to NOT use the Prokit or Sportlines at all. The issue is the too-soft spring rates that the Sportlines and Pro-kit use, not the fact that it's a "race car" spring vs. a "mass produced" spring. For example, Stranos (1.25" drop) and Edelbrock coilovers (Eibach coilover springs) use 550lb linear rate springs up front. Sportlines are 360lb front with a 1.6" drop. Not only are the Sportlines much softer, but they offer less suspension travel. To get an idea, stock spring rates for a '98 non-WS6 V8 F-body are 292/114.

Originally Posted by 94lt1white_bird
well the car is my DD and it wont be a autocross car , i drag it a couple of times a year more just a car i wanna have fun with and cruise with and have it handlewell so you still think 550 up front and 150 in the rear is still alright
550/150 is what Stranos are rated at. Now, there are slight variances from spring manufacturers, so that's why I said to start at 550/150. If you feel something needs changing, it's easy enough to change the springs out.

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-27-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Launching!

oh ok gotcha well ill probably go for that and ill let ya'll know how it works out for me

Quick Reply: Thinkin about ground control?