Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What happened to the CTS-V & 17" wheels thread?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we do the rear brakes too like this? Or how would that work
Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this thread is now getting confused with things that are actually not true.

The whole first half of my post was dealing with the fact that you need conversion brackets to run C5 calipers on an Fbody. That is incorrect.

Now you are telling me the C6 caliper is different because it is for a different size rotor. I can believe that it is a different shape because of the picture, but the rotors are in fact the same size as C5 rotors. And they use the same C6 caliper for both the base C6 and Z51 which have different rotor sizes. The C5 and base C6 PAB are also the same part. C6 Z51 PAB is a separate part that allows them to use that caliper with the bigger Z51 rotor.

C6 calipers will bolt onto C5 cars without any modification. C5 calipers will bolt onto Fcars without any modification (using Fbody PAB). If the C6s don't fit they don't fit, but it doesn't seem like it should be simply because of the bigger rotors. If they don't fit with our PAB that is a different matter somewhat.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
C6 calipers will bolt onto C5 cars without any modification. C5 calipers will bolt onto Fcars without any modification (using Fbody PAB). If the C6s don't fit they don't fit, but it doesn't seem like it should be simply because of the bigger rotors. If they don't fit with our PAB that is a different matter somewhat.
Yeah, I screwed up. I kept thinking C6 Z06, and/or using larger C5 rotors. Putting stock C5 or C6 calipers onto a stock LS1 sized rotor is a complete waste of money, IMO.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAZ-Matt - That is true - you can run C5 calipers on a F-body PAB with a stock F-body 11.8" rotor. I would ASSume that C6 calipers would plug in here as well - never read about that one being tried, though. There's no reason that it shouldn't fit unless there is some unforseen caliper-PAB interference.

To go to a larger rotor C5/C6 or larger you'll need an adpater bracket unless you use CTS-V (and maybe G5 Camaro?) calipers which bolt directly to the stock F-car spindle. The LG bracket let you use the C5/C6 rotor with the stock F-body PAB and either F-body or C5/C6 calipers with a little "massaging". All of the other kits require C5/C6 PABs, but the calipers again should interchange.

In the end it seems like there's a giant list of combinations you could come up with.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are way better off just buying a bracket kit so you can use a larger rotor and using stock F-Body LS1 calipers than C5 calipers and stock LS1 F-Body rotors.

Of course the best scenario is to use a bigger rotor AND better caliper.

To clarify, my brackets require no cutting or massaging of the spindle at all. I don't know of any others for sale (currently) that can say that...

Not one failure or problem in 3 years and about 200 sets out there used for everything from street to drag to autocross.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps, but better is of course subjective.

It depends on if you need the extra heat capacity in the rotor or if you are concerned more with caliper spread. If you do go larger rotor, you do get the benefit of being able to go Corvette caliper + PAB then getting access to C5 / C6 pads and a little more variety than the Fbody pad selection. If you are just looking for a more durable caliper or want to stick with 16's then bolting on a C5 caliper is the way to go.

This sort of got away from the main topic. I was mostly just curious if the C6's would bolt in place without interference with common wheel designs / offsets and the rest of the Fbody brake / suspension hardware.

Quick Reply: What happened to the CTS-V & 17" wheels thread?