Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best pad/rotor combo for F-body

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran Brakemotive rotors and pads on my Camaro. Loved them.

I had the older slotted only design. I'm not a fan of the cross drilling because of possible strucural weakening, but they don't seem to carry slotted only anymore. At the same time, I don't think I've seen any issues with Brakemotive's cross-drilled rotors particularly. And that being said, I'm probably going to pick up a set for my 02 Trailblazer.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I almost ordered the brembo blanks last night. I decided to wait and see what else everyone in the thread had to say first and they wont ship out till monday anyways if I wait.
You should be fine either way you go. Brembo blanks, ATE, Brakemotive, Centric, cross-drilled and slotted, dimpled, etc. Most guys on the street aren't going to beat the hell out of their rotors, and while you might get a little hairline cracking around cross-drilled areas, there's a good chance it won't turn into a problem (although I have seen plenty of cross-drilled rotors that had to be scrapped because the cracks started spiderwebbing to the rest of the rotor).
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
You should be fine either way you go. Brembo blanks, ATE, Brakemotive, Centric, cross-drilled and slotted, dimpled, etc. Most guys on the street aren't going to beat the hell out of their rotors, and while you might get a little hairline cracking around cross-drilled areas, there's a good chance it won't turn into a problem (although I have seen plenty of cross-drilled rotors that had to be scrapped because the cracks started spiderwebbing to the rest of the rotor).
This is the what has happened to me as of right now. You can see on the stock ones where the bigger crack originated and how all the smaller fissure cracks popped up from that big crack as it was constantly heat cycled.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look into getting a quality set of stainless steel brake likes. I swapped over to slotted rotors, hawk pads, stainless steel lines, and new fluid...it was an amazing difference!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I would look into getting a quality set of stainless steel brake likes. I swapped over to slotted rotors, hawk pads, stainless steel lines, and new fluid...it was an amazing difference!!!!!
Yea I am going to get SS lines too. It seems to be general consensus that the SS lines improve pedal feel alot...
Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Brakemotive package on my car.. the pads are still fine but I am wanting something a little more aggressive. I will also be installed the stainless braided lines as well. For those I would suggest you hit up Flynbye.com as he provides everything you need for the install and is cheap.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Launching!

I run ATE, Hawk HPS and dot 4 fluid. Very responsive and good enough for the street IMO. I've had powerslot rotors and the stockers and I'm very impressed with the quality and looks of the ATE, plus they have that protective coating on the hubs to prevent rust.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Of course the drilled or slotted or blank thing got stirred up again... I remember a thread a few months back that I posted in that had a lot of information.

It is somewhat tiresome but to throw in a few things just for good measure.

First, there is no such thing as a rotor with cast holes through the surface. Every metal rotor with holes has been drilled. The OEMs will design the vanes and pick the metallurgy keeping in mind that they will be drilled and they have to survive warranty. That is it. They are better than supercheap C/D's but they aren't immune.

Drilled are more likely to crack than blanks. You can crack blanks if you are harsh enough, but it is less likely. This is why most of the road race guys who are not part of huge budget teams are running blanks.

Drilled or slotted probably will have marginally better initial bite than blanks, in wet and dry weather. There is a bit of extra braking torque from the holes or slots. This also does wipe away pad glaze or other junk on the surface. It also leads to decreased pad life, which can be quite significant. Giving the entire balance of rotor and pad life versus cracking, this is why all the big budget teams in sports car racing mandated to run metal rotors have slotted ones (look at the current C6R and others in their class).

What is unclear because of lack of great data is how much different rotor cooling is in a cross drilled rotors. It is clear that they heat faster and to higher temperature (which is only beneficial if you have a pad that requires high temp to function), but the cooling rate and average cooling is probably not really any better. Additionally, it is unlikely that the added surface area inside the holes contributes much to radiating or conducting heat away from the rotor because there is not significant airflow through the holes, and there is potential to disrupt the airflow through the vanes, which are what actually cool the disks.

For a street car just get what is in your budget and what you want. Personally I have stuck with blanks because I'd rather go with durability and put more money in pads or something else. If I ever went to the dark side, I would be tempted to get something like the Hawk Quiet Slot rotors (if they turn out to be good... someone else can be the guinea pig), but probably not drilled ones. The ATE's with their weird atomic slot are proven to be reliable so that is another choice if you don't mind the design.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

I have the Brakemotive package on my car.. the pads are still fine but I am wanting something a little more aggressive. I will also be installed the stainless braided lines as well. For those I would suggest you hit up Flynbye.com as he provides everything you need for the install and is cheap.
Thanks for that I'll check him out.
I run ATE, Hawk HPS and dot 4 fluid. Very responsive and good enough for the street IMO. I've had powerslot rotors and the stockers and I'm very impressed with the quality and looks of the ATE, plus they have that protective coating on the hubs to prevent rust.
I'm probably going to run Amsoil brake fluid. I use Amsoil exclusively in my SS now and I am more satisfied with it and paying the extra for it than I was with any other synthetic fluid or oil I've ever run.

I'm gonna check these ate rotors out as they seem to get the nod from you guys.

I had no idea this was as debated as it is, as I just thought cross drilled and slotted were better because they were!!! More internet theory thrown out the window

Of course the drilled or slotted or blank thing got stirred up again... I remember a thread a few months back that I posted in that had a lot of information.

It is somewhat tiresome but to throw in a few things just for good measure.

First, there is no such thing as a rotor with cast holes through the surface. Every metal rotor with holes has been drilled. The OEMs will design the vanes and pick the metallurgy keeping in mind that they will be drilled and they have to survive warranty. That is it. They are better than supercheap C/D's but they aren't immune.

Drilled are more likely to crack than blanks. You can crack blanks if you are harsh enough, but it is less likely. This is why most of the road race guys who are not part of huge budget teams are running blanks.

Drilled or slotted probably will have marginally better initial bite than blanks, in wet and dry weather. There is a bit of extra braking torque from the holes or slots. This also does wipe away pad glaze or other junk on the surface. It also leads to decreased pad life, which can be quite significant. Giving the entire balance of rotor and pad life versus cracking, this is why all the big budget teams in sports car racing mandated to run metal rotors have slotted ones (look at the current C6R and others in their class).

What is unclear because of lack of great data is how much different rotor cooling is in a cross drilled rotors. It is clear that they heat faster and to higher temperature (which is only beneficial if you have a pad that requires high temp to function), but the cooling rate and average cooling is probably not really any better. Additionally, it is unlikely that the added surface area inside the holes contributes much to radiating or conducting heat away from the rotor because there is not significant airflow through the holes, and there is potential to disrupt the airflow through the vanes, which are what actually cool the disks.

For a street car just get what is in your budget and what you want. Personally I have stuck with blanks because I'd rather go with durability and put more money in pads or something else. If I ever went to the dark side, I would be tempted to get something like the Hawk Quiet Slot rotors (if they turn out to be good... someone else can be the guinea pig), but probably not drilled ones. The ATE's with their weird atomic slot are proven to be reliable so that is another choice if you don't mind the design.
Like I said above I didn't know or have any idea this topic was this highly debated.

Your info is what I was looking for exactly, but now I have another brand rotor I have to research before I buy the ones I get.

I have this thing where I have to research every product and item that goes on any car I own. Its kinda a OCD thing and even my buddies tell me I am too picky, but I just like knowing I will be 100% satisfied in myself that I found the best product for my vehicle.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm probably going to run Amsoil brake fluid. I use Amsoil exclusively in my SS now and I am more satisfied with it and paying the extra for it than I was with any other synthetic fluid or oil I've ever run.
DOT4 is just the type of brake fluid - quick snippet from Google:

Polyglycol Based DOT3 - Color - Amber | One of the most common finds on the market and have a specific for cars designed for the late 80s period. Although compatible with our CL7/9s should you cannot find the required selected grade, this is not the correct specification to be used from factory recommendation guidelines. DOT3 also absorbs moisture the quickest and has the lowest boiling point and should only strictly be for road use.

Polyglycol Based DOT4 - Color - Amber | The benchmark specifications by the majority of car manufacturers, this is also the specific grade to be used with Hondas/Acura cars regardless of models. DOT4 is designed to absorb moisture slower than DOT3 and has a higher boiling point. This is both suitable for road use and track work. While the OEM Honda DOT4 brake fluid is sufficient for weekend trackdays, meets etc. Using racing specific DOT4 refined brake fluids will increase higher temperature tolerance particularly under hard braking conditions.

Silicone Based DOT5 - Color - Purple | Least common and also the most different from both grades above. DOT5 are primarily designed for cars not equipped with ABS units (Unless otherwise manufacturer specific)and this should not be used unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing. DOT5 does not absorb moisture and holds the highest boiling point. This brake fluid is not compatible with either categories above and should never be mixed due to it's chemical properties.
There's also DOT 5.1, but I'm not 100% sure what the difference between 5 and 5.1 is.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

DOT4 is just the type of brake fluid - quick snippet from Google:

There's also DOT 5.1, but I'm not 100% sure what the difference between 5 and 5.1 is.
Sounds like the DOT 5.1 and 5 is some serious stuff!

So I'll use DOT4 then...right?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the DOT 5.1 and 5 is some serious stuff!

So I'll use DOT4 then...right?
Yep, should work fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

I have Powerslot rotors and they have taken a lot of abuse over the last 5 years, including several HPDEs. I had the HPS pads for a while. On the track, they were good under 100mph. They faded some and were inconsistent on another track where I would get up to 140. Stepping up to the HP+ solved that but they are dusty and have worn the rotors more than other pads.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm everyone buys Hawk on this board.

Anyone ever try Carbotech's street or track pads on an Fbody? What about the StopTech "Street Performance Pads"?

I ask partly because there is a lot of Hawk love on this board which isn't necessarily shared on other boards catering to cars besides Fbodies.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey BrakeMotive I have a question for you...If I paint your rotors with a high temp brake caliper paint how long will it take to wear off. A day? 2 days? Week? Any idea? I really like the(puts suit on)look of the all black speed inc rotors I posted up, but your deal is kicking me in the nuts if I don't do it

What do you think?
I don't know if he got back to you, but think about it....you most likely wouldn't even make it out of your driveway without wearing the paint off the rotor face, plus you don't want paint gumming up your pads.

I'm surprised there's not some disclaimer about that on the WS6 store rotors.....that finish might be more durable than paint, but it HAS to wear off pretty quickly.

And FYI - he said in another thread you can paint areas that don't contact the pads with Rustoleum hi-temp grille paint or similar. I plan on doing this.

As far as the Brembo blanks from Smmit, they seem like a good deal, but in reality it's still going to cost you more than if you just bought the complete package from Brakemotive.

Rear rotors and pads from Brakemotive are $95, plus 50 bucks for Brembos + the 11 bucks Summit charges for handling puts you at $156, and you still need rear pads.

And I think it was determined in another thread that those "Brembo" blanks are just generic rotors in a Brembo box.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah I highly doubt those 25 dollar brembo rotors are anything special other than a generic casting, just cause it says brembo dosnt mean its performance will be any better.

I got a set of baer decela rotors which are probably quit a bit better but still nothing spectacular. I still belive its all in the pad and the caliper. Rotor performance comes from its size and thats pretty much it. the bigger diamiter it is the better its stopping potential
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for picking up a second set of Brembo blanks. I used them when they were $100 each and will be happy to have a replacement set sitting at home for $25 each.

To the OP, I think you're going in the right direction. There are a BUNCH of great options that should work well with your setup, however the Brembo blanks + Hawk pads will leave you with a "budget" setup that should perform quite well.

As for the recommendation, I speak from experience (most of which is very recent). Had the standard stock brakes and couldn't stand the brake fade at high speeds. Replaced the rotors with Brembo blanks, mated them to Hawk DTC-30 (front) and HP + (rear) pads and hit Road Atlanta for a HPDE and the brakes were awesome. Finally the tires (I was using R compounds) became a limiting factor in the braking equation! The DTC-30 is a bit harsh for street driving so I'd go a bit more mild for a pure street (occassional drag strip) setup.

The "PROS" are performance, reliability and they're a cost effective alternative to a more involved 'big brake' setup. As for the "CONS" -- the stock pads had very little dust and hardly ever made a squeak (of course, they hardly ever slowed me down from 140 mph also)! The Hawks pads do dust up a bit so you'll have to clean the wheels more often and they occassionally offer up a squeak. For me, both are manageable and I'll never put the stock pads back on my car.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
cheep crossdrilled rotors will probably wind up failing, however if you buy a GOOD crossdrilled rotor, or a rotor that was CAST with the holes in it then you will fair better, remember you get what you pay for.
There are no rotors with cast holes, it's a myth just like the argument of reduced surface area, loss of mass etc. that everyone parrots like it's factual.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

Hey BrakeMotive I have a question for you...If I paint your rotors with a high temp brake caliper paint how long will it take to wear off. A day? 2 days? Week? Any idea? I really like the(puts suit on)look of the all black speed inc rotors I posted up, but your deal is kicking me in the nuts if I don't do it

What do you think?
I would only use a high temp ceramic paint. The zinc coating on our rotors is an excellent base to paint over. Just wipe down the hub area with some pre cleaner and shoot them with a couple light coats of VHT 2000* paint. They will look good for a long time as the zinc beneath the paint inhibits corrosion very well.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Less heatsink material, much increased chances of cracking due to stress risers around the drilled holes, and less material for the pads to work against - which, to me, says less friction between the pads and rotors due to less surface area contact, and most of what I've seen don't point towards cross-drilled rotors being less prone to warpage...the opposite, actually, due to the quicker heat and cool cycles less heatsink material causes (and the annoying bit that a lot of people think cross-drilling is to cool the rotors better, when it doesn't have anything to do with that).

If I'm wrong with anything here, I'm more than interested in hearing how and why (and the physics behind it); what I've said is just my opinion gathered from a myriad of sources over the years, and some personal experience.
The average mass removed from an f-body rotor that we drill and slot is .2 lbs. On a 20lb rotor that is negligible decrease in mass. Convection heat transfer is the primary mode of heat dissipation in a brake system (which is why dedicated cooling ducts make such an impact on reducing fade). Heat transfer by conduction (rotor to the hub, wheel bearings, brake pads, steering knuckle etc) has a less significant role in heat dissipation. The argument is that the increase convection heat transfer more than makes up for the minute reduction in rotor mass. This has been proven in SAE white papers which anyone can google and read for themselves. The same misguided argument against cross-drilling comes up all the time - it's tiring trying to inform people when there is so much propaganda against them. If you buy a new BMW M3, Ferrari F430, Corvette Z06 or ZR1, Audi R8, Bugatti Veyron or [fill in the high end performance car of your choice] you get cross-drilled rotors. They are not cross-drilling the rotors from the factory because it looks pretty - they do it because it has tangible performance benefits. I get the argument that the true road race versions of those cars don't run drilled rotors (actually some do in qualifying to gain an edge in starting position before switching back to blanks for the full endurance race), but there is a HUGE difference between a road going performance car and a purpose build endurance road race car. There is nothing wrong with running a blank rotor and I always recommend blank or slotted only for road racers but drilled rotors do have real world benefits on street cars and most of the arguments against them that are parroted ad nauseam by uninformed people are just bogus.

Quick Reply: Best pad/rotor combo for F-body