Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm relocation kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque arm relocation kit

Who here is using a relocation bracket/cross-member? Ive been considering buying one, but im not sure what vibration or harshness are going to come with it. My car is a M6 and has basic bolt on's along with UMI lower control arms, panhard bar, and sub frame connectors. I like the idea of getting the torque arm off the tailshaft, but i really hate anything that adds vibration to the car while cruising.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

I have a BMR crossmember on my car. I didnt feel any difference in vibration at all.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After putting mine on (UMI piece), I think it should be a basic requirement for anyone with an M6 car who doesn't drive like a geriatric. NVH increase was minimal (and would have been less so with a stock-style rubber mount instead of the poly).
Old 07-08-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I just installed a full Spohn, all rod-ended, rear suspension with my S60 on my M6. I have noticed no vibration with the T/A, although, there is alot of NVM which I attribute to the rod-ends and spool. There are a few tricks if you are installing the T/A on an S60 though.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by km346
Who here is using a relocation bracket/cross-member? Ive been considering buying one, but im not sure what vibration or harshness are going to come with it. My car is a M6 and has basic bolt on's along with UMI lower control arms, panhard bar, and sub frame connectors. I like the idea of getting the torque arm off the tailshaft, but i really hate anything that adds vibration to the car while cruising.
I've driven them both in a M6 and A4, no issues here at all and I think it's a plus to do the relocation bracket and it's real easy to install.

We actually have some I believe left over we're trying to get rid of

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-sale-o_o.html
Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

BrianSF did you do the spheical rod ends or the del-sphere? What is NVH and NVM??
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) ... NVM was a miss-type

I went spherical. It is mainly a drag car with limited street use so I overlook the ride quality and noises. The spool makes them even noiser with slow speed turning. Please note that this is my opinion .... each time I post a comment about the NVH I get responses like "but the whole "Rod-ends are for masochists!" is a bit overplayed". To each there own I guess. I would have gone poly if it was a daily driver, but am happy with spherical rod-ends on this car.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
BrianSF did you do the spheical rod ends or the del-sphere? What is NVH and NVM??
Take a look at this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nu-choose.html
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses everyone, Im going to go ahead and buy one.

Brain, that car means business thanks for the pic.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by km346
Thanks for the responses everyone, Im going to go ahead and buy one.

Brain, that car means business thanks for the pic.
Thanks! It is a work in progress and I hope to have some track times soon. Maybe some 1/8 mile times on the 555's in a few weeks, but, hopefully by the end of the summer I will have shocks and slicks on Race Stars.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) ... NVM was a miss-type

I went spherical. It is mainly a drag car with limited street use so I overlook the ride quality and noises. The spool makes them even noiser with slow speed turning. Please note that this is my opinion .... each time I post a comment about the NVH I get responses like "but the whole "Rod-ends are for masochists!" is a bit overplayed". To each there own I guess. I would have gone poly if it was a daily driver, but am happy with spherical rod-ends on this car.

It all depends on what you expect out of the car, I guess. I'm not too worried with a lot of ride comfort or cutting down NVH, since the car isn't a daily and I'd rather have performance than comfort or quiet. I did go from poly LCAs to rod-end ones, and aside from when the rod ends needed changed, didn't notice any increased NVH - and that's when the car was my daily driver. Course, I have dumped duals, too.

But, nothing wrong with going with a rubber or poly bushing to cut NVH out if it's a concern; my comment was more in line with a lot of the complaints I've seen about rod-ends being noisy are typically due to the rod-ends being worn out and needing replacement. It seems like a lot of people don't see rod ends as being periodic maintenance items.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a dumped set of duals and you won't hear the noise anyways.

I've run one on my a4 and as Element said, if you are worried about vibration, get a rubber mount. If anything though, you should lose some vibration, at least through the transmission.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element

... complaints I've seen about rod-ends being noisy are typically due to the rod-ends being worn out and needing replacement. It seems like a lot of people don't see rod ends as being periodic maintenance items.
Since mine are brand new, I don't think they need to be replaced. The spool is probably causing some if not all of the noise from the LCA's. It is primarily from bumps and ruts in the road at slow speeds.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't like the harshness of my relo cross-member, but I don't wanna ride with the torque arm on the tranny so I gotta give somewhere.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Since mine are brand new, I don't think they need to be replaced. The spool is probably causing some if not all of the noise from the LCA's. It is primarily from bumps and ruts in the road at slow speeds.
Yep, wasn't talking about this thread or your poly recommendation in particular, just the general reason I've seen a lot of people recommend against rod-ends who've had bad experiences with them on near-stock cars.

Quick Reply: torque arm relocation kit