Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brake lines, bled brakes several times, still air!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New brake lines, bled brakes several times, still air!

I did a lot of work on my car a couple months ago, including replacing the stock lines with stainless lines. After installing the lines, there were a few leaks, mostly around the crush washer and at the t-fitting on top of the differential. So I tightened everything down to where I was seeing no more fluid, and bled the brakes. As expected, I got air bubbles, no big deal. I finally got to the last caliper and everything seemed fine. I fired up the engine and my pedal went almost to the floor, but I had some pressure. So I did the whole process again.

So long story short, I've bled them 6-9 times now and every time I get to the driver front there are no bubbles, but if I go back to the passenger rear, there will be bubbles. Obviously air is coming in somewhere. Everything appears to be tight and I see no leaks. Do I need to bleed from the master cylinder to make sure there is no air in the top of the system? What recommendations do you all have?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

What year car? I just fought this battle today. You might have air in the ABS unit, and it's damn near impossible to get out without a Tech II scan tool. I have a long enough driveway to do some panic stops that engaged the ABS, and it seemed to purge the air. I'm going to try bleeding them again tomorrow and see what I get out of them.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 98 with abs delete and a line lock. The brakes work, but the pedal damn near goes all the way to the floor.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the best way to bleed from the master cylinder down?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you took your calipers off and put them back on the wrong side? I did that once when I painted them. Bled the **** out of my brakes for days with no change. Flipped the calipers to the correct way and all good. Bleeders face up.

If that's not it then you have air getting in the system somehow. Need to double check all connections and lines. I've always bled furthest tire from the MC first and move closer until you do the driver front last.

Also, if you ran your MC dry then you need to bench bleed it.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh, re read your first post and sounds like your on the right track... I said everything you already did/know. Sorry *foot in mouth*

Quick Reply: New brake lines, bled brakes several times, still air!