Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Lowering spring install

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering spring install

How long does it take to put lowering springs on and how much of a pain is it. Debating on doing it myself or getting someone else too.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really not that hard. I took 2 days, probably 5 hours one day and 5 the next. I did springs, shocks and sway bar bushings and endlinks. I had never done this before so I read a how-to I found on here and took my time.

The rear was almost too easy. The front gave me trouble because my upper mounts where rusted pretty bad. After I compressed the spring I used a hack saw to cut the old shock shaft on one side, the other side I was able to unscrew the bolt. After that everything went together ok. The torx bolts under the brake booster were another bitch but I played with them until I got them.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really not hard, just get yourself some spring compressors, and be careful with it is all. As stated the rear is super easy, the front takes a little longer. Do yourself a favor and get a quality spring also, it'll make it worth it later. Also, now would be a good time for shocks if you plan on doing it in the future, or havent already.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the imput . Yeah now that you mention it it would be a good time for new shocks
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd highly suggest purchasing front shocks and upper spring mounts as well - assemble everything off the car first. Once they're ready, it took me roughly an hour per side to swap out the fronts and that includes jacking and removing the wheel

The rear springs should almost fall out once you get the rear up and let the axle hang down...30min tops
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like already mentioned the rear springs damn near fall out when jacking the car up. The fronts can be a pain, but doable. I have all the parts, just need the time to do it. I bought new strut mounts and isolators. That way I don't have to worry about destroying the old stuff. Most I have heard were pretty rusted.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VinR1
I'd highly suggest purchasing front shocks and upper spring mounts as well - assemble everything off the car first. Once they're ready, it took me roughly an hour per side to swap out the fronts and that includes jacking and removing the wheel
thats the way to do it, just count on everything in the front to be rusted
Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

I just put mine on at the shop I work at and the rear took no time at all less than 25-30 minutes. The fronts took a lot longer. It helps if you have all the right tools. I also got lucky that car didn't have any rust and my top strut nut wasn't rusted like a lot of others on here have been. Good luck with the install
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oh1ws6
I just put mine on at the shop I work at and the rear took no time at all less than 25-30 minutes. The fronts took a lot longer. It helps if you have all the right tools. I also got lucky that car didn't have any rust and my top strut nut wasn't rusted like a lot of others on here have been. Good luck with the install
Lucky dog! I'm hoping for the same, but preparing for the worse.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

this is what i just went through.... thats how i pulled it off the car i think theres a nut there

i started with new shocks, springs and PHB. Then ended up getting new upper shock mounts, isolators, the spring seat cup and sway bar end links and i still need a alignment
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kevin99hoss
this is what i just went through.... thats how i pulled it off the car i think theres a nut there

i started with new shocks, springs and PHB. Then ended up getting new upper shock mounts, isolators, the spring seat cup and sway bar end links and i still need a alignment
Man I feel for you on that one! That's worst case scenario right there haha and oh yeah OP you'll need an alignment after if you didn't know that already!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

Damn ! That looks rough . I good that doesn't happen to me for real. I would be up shot creek without a paddle
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you get it apart, coat the threaded portion of the new shock, retaining nut etc (everything that is rusty) with antiseize, marine grease etc to slow down/prevent the rust process from happening again. Has anyone thought of a way to grease the top portion of the shock assembly while it is on the car as periodic maintenance?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

fill the cavity with grease before you bolt it up
Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look up the Blue Knight. He has a video on how to install the springs.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
Look up the Blue Knight. He has a video on how to install the springs.
and also ls1howto is what I used. Worked great, I rented a spring compressor from Autozone. Be careful compressing the spring, make sure the hooks are on the spring real good before clamping it down.

sam strano on here is a great guy to ask questions. has a ton of knowledge FYI

Quick Reply: Lowering spring install