Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
$600 is a good amount of money to start off modifying your suspension. However, if your car is unstable at high speed you may have something worn, tie rod, ball joint, etc. You may want to check those basic wear items out first before you start spending money on aftermarket items.

If your car checks out fine I would definitely look at getting a set of shocks. With $600 you can easily get a set of SLP bilsteins, which would turn your Z28 into a completely different car. Sadly your just short of being able to afford a set of springs, which again would COMPLETELY change the car. However, when lowering an F-body there are other misc. items that you *should* get but aren't necessarily required (panhard rod, relo brackets, etc.). Good luck
Sorry, I haven't looked yet. But what are the SLP Bilsteins? As much as I like the looks and all of a lowered Camaro, I want to keep mine where it is. I've heard that with lowering a car it will gain huge handling advantages, but ride quality suffers and the suspension parts wear out faster. So I plan on keeping mine where it is.

Does the car run on all shocks? Or half shocks and half springs? $600 is the absolute most I would spend, I just want it to be better than brand new stock Z28 parts, but don't need it to be so good that it could handle like a Corvette.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ambient temperature and bushing squish/deflection can play a bit part in ride and handling. Rubber is pretty susceptible to it - when it heats up, it gets softer and more prone to bushing "squash" which can make the car feel a lot looser; when it gets cold, it shrinks up and can lead to some strange noises and a rougher ride.

New rubber bushings will be less worn and won't be quite as affected by temperature changes, but there will still be some extra squishiness when it's really hot out. Poly is still affected by temperature, but not quite as much, as it starts out a lot harder to begin with...but poly comes with its own set of problems in a lot of applications. Rod ends and solid-style bushings like Delrin will be the least affected by heat but, again, come with their own problems.

For a daily driver on a budget, I'd check into trying to find 1LE bushings for as many components as you can; they're (as far as I know) still a rubber bushing, but of a harder durometer, so they'll be a double upgrade over time-worn stockers. I'd also replace the shocks; SLP Bilsteins (http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7) are a good way to go and work great with stock springs. If $600 is the top budget, that's what I would say to do first, along with checking your ball joints and tie rod ends - just because the alignment is good doesn't mean those parts aren't worn out, and they can lead to a sloppy-feeling car. Unfortunately, good replacement parts aren't cheap (Moog ball joints for the upper and lower control arms alone are $150, inner and outer tie rod ends are about $180).

But, that would give you a good starting point for your suspension, and you can add things later, like subframe connectors and the like, as budget permits.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm glad this thread is getting a lot of attention, it's helping me out a lot.

I have taken it to an alignment shop, they say the alignment is fine.
Theres a big difference between "fine" and a performance alignment.
Whats the actual alignment at? These cars usually have 0 camber from the factory which isn't good for handling or tire wear (will wear the outsides faster).

But here's the really tricky thing about it. I live in the deep south, Mississippi, it gets in the upper 90's and low 100's here often. During the day time when it's VERY hot outside, the car feels a little sloppy, it doesn't change lanes as quickly. But once night comes, and cools off to the 70's or so the car feels sharp and nimble again, feels like a true sports car. A friend from I know, who is a real car guru himself says that for these cars that as the suspension parts age and get more mileage they become more susceptible to the heat, expanding slightly with the heat and thus decreasing their capabilities. He says that new parts won't be affected by the heat...as much.
Bushings as mentioned, but not mentioned was shocks. Shocks are filled with oil, and that oil will become less viscous with heat(gets worse with non-gas charged shocks like QA1s, afco, strange), especially shitty shocks like the stock decarbons. A higher quality shock will not do this as much with heat. I know the feeling, another reason I love Koni SA's so much, such an outstanding shock and huge huge difference for the car.

I have heard of the sub-frame connectors. Can you tell me about how much the cost? What would the install of them cost as well? Also, are there any cons or negatives to installing them?
They add weight and honestly don't help handling.
I added some bolt-ins, got them welded and still notice no difference, and Im not easy on the car, I auto-x it. I added them after shocks, springs, swaybars, all of which made a substantial difference, the shocks (konis) especially.
Most people say they are a great mod and tighten the car up a lot. Which I would like, the car does ride pretty rough, and feels shaky. Part of that I blame on it having T-tops, part I blame it being a Camaro and having that type of suspension, and part I blame on it having 66,000 miles.
T-tops have nothing to do with it, these cars were originally made as convertibles, the chassis is much stiffer than most give credit for, and too many mistake lack of shock dampening and the way the rear axle articulates compared to the front suspension as chassis flex.
Better shocks = better ride, handling, feel, control, balance, stability.
Spend your money on good shocks first as long as there is nothing broken or very worn. Then look into swaybars if you can afford it (35mm front, 22mm rear).
Buying "SS" suspension would be a huge waste of money considering you could get much much better stuff for around the same price.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

Element and JD Amg thank you very much for your detailed answers. You told me exactly what I needed to hear.

Over the next few days I'll be taking a look at replacing some of the bushings for the sway bars. The SLP Bilstein shocks come fairly cheap, saw a set of 4 for $350 I think. And I'll see how worn those tie rods are also. I appreciate all the input.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you add a STB and welded SFRs first, you will be able to discern what they did better than if you wait until after replacing shocks, etc. This is the path I took for both my Camaros. For a V8 I would invest in the Koni SAs (I put SLP Bilsteins on my RS), and some bigger hollow sways like Stranos. Don't waste time or money on your current sways/bushings -- upgrade -- you will love the big difference.

Upgrade in phases, if you have a budget constraint...
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Element and JD Amg thank you very much for your detailed answers. You told me exactly what I needed to hear.

Over the next few days I'll be taking a look at replacing some of the bushings for the sway bars. The SLP Bilstein shocks come fairly cheap, saw a set of 4 for $350 I think. And I'll see how worn those tie rods are also. I appreciate all the input.
Both posts were pretty much what I was thinking. When I upgraded to Koni's, my handling improved, as well as much high speed stability (55+)...which seems to be an issue you have. If you're not planning on lowering, the Bilsteins will probably do exactly what you need.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
If you add a STB and welded SFRs first, you will be able to discern what they did better than if you wait until after replacing shocks, etc. This is the path I took for both my Camaros. For a V8 I would invest in the Koni SAs (I put SLP Bilsteins on my RS), and some bigger hollow sways like Stranos. Don't waste time or money on your current sways/bushings -- upgrade -- you will love the big difference.

Upgrade in phases, if you have a budget constraint...
Great advice. You don't need everything at once, it helps show exactly what parts change if you do it in steps. One thing I would say, is if you're going to run stock sway bars for a while, you might as well get some new endlinks for it, at least for the front (might be necessary anyways, as your stockers will probably snap when you take them off). It can help tighten your handling up a little bit, especially being they're only $15 or so.

Still, shocks = #1 upgrade!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
One thing I would say, is if you're going to run stock sway bars for a while, you might as well get some new endlinks for it, at least for the front (might be necessary anyways, as your stockers will probably snap when you take them off). It can help tighten your handling up a little bit, especially being they're only $15 or so.

Still, shocks = #1 upgrade!
What are the end links? And you say they might snap when I change out the shocks!?

Also, if I'm changing the end links, might as well do the sway bar bushings too right? That's only a few dollars, and I hear that helps a little.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

The Z front sway is already smaller than the SS has stock, so I would not bother with your current hardware -- upgrade your bars which will include new hardware.

Endlinks:

Endlinks come off during a front shock swap -- they will likely break if they are original.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776

Endlinks come off during a front shock swap -- they will likely break if they are original.
How much are Endlinks and where can I get those at? Do they together with the shocks?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

About $20 a set from autozone for the energy suspension ones. Much beefier than stock. If you're looking to replace the stock sway bar with a larger one, they usually come with the bushings and endlinks.

Here's my experience: I wanted the car lower for looks and to handle better, but I didn't want to drop major $$ in the SS because I am going to buy a C6 in the, hopfully, near future. I already had the STB, adjustable LCA and panhard with poly bushings, and LCA relocation brackets.

Anyway, I stuck with the stock SS front (32mm) and rear (19mm) sway bars but added new poly end links and bushings. I swaped the springs and shocks for Strano springs and SLP Bilstein shocks. Strano springs due to a moderate drop (1.25") and reputation for handling and SLP Bilsteins due to price/performance. The car most definitely feels far better planted to the road and responsive; the poly bushings and end links helped with body roll and eliminated some noise I was getting. I'm sure a larger sway bar would reduce body roll to almost 0 but is out of my budget and scope for now. I will go so far as to say the ride quality improved tremendously as well. At 40psi in both front and rear like some run for courses, well no, but at 32 front and 30 rear like I run on the street, heck yeah.

I also used the alignment specs that are stickied at the top of this forum and am very happy over all.

Last edited by Kurt D; 07-27-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

And to subframe connectors, I installed a set I bought from Summit shortly after the suspension; one of those too good to pass up deals. They are typical 2 pt weld ins that connect the front frame to the rear LCA mount. They made VERY VERY little difference. My driver side T-top squeaks and they maybe lessened that squeak a little; physically they maybe reduced movment between the cowl and T-top by a 1/16th of an inch. They did NOTHING for the feel of the car and if I'd paid more than $70 for them I'd be pissed.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the ride is getting bad its most likely the shocks. Some new Bilstein shocks will cure that. If you want to lower it Sam Strano can help you with that.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

SFCs are one of those performance bogeymen...some say they help, other say they do nothing. With a good set of shocks, SFC changes should be minimal; however, f-bodies aren't exactly rigid cars (being able to jack the front tire and leave the rear on the ground is great for a pickup, but not for a performance car) and SFCs will help some with chassis rigidity.

Mine didn't make a bit of difference on the road, but I know it stiffened the car up; prior to installing them, jacking the front corner of the car up left the rear axle firmly planted on the ground. After installing bolt-in SFCs, front corner comes up, so does the rear.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

As for sub-frame connectors, I have read that in mostly stock cars, or cars not pushing out HUGE HP numbers, like 500 or more, that sub-frame connectors will not do much. If I remember right, they work best in very high HP applications, they assist in launching the car and keeping the rear end from flexing too much with that huge power output, but in anything less than 500HP, you won't really notice a difference.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

I have SFCs on both my SS & RS -- a noticeable rigidity improvement on both, and they're <500 RWHP. Only thing done suspension-wise when SFCs were welded was STBs in both.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Uhh, this is the first thread I have ever heard of where people are saying SFCs did nothing for them.

I have yet to meet someone with SFCs who didn't think they were worth every penny. The difference in ride quality is dramatic. As far as I know they aren't advertised to help cornering ability, but they sure do make the car feel a lot less sloppy over bumps that a street car encounters daily.

So I guess I'm just imagining it...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

SFCs made the car track better in corners -- especially my SS 'Vert...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I have yet to meet someone with SFCs who didn't think they were worth every penny.
You have now.

I had probably one of the beefiest set of two point SFCs available welded in my car... Global West DOM 2 inch (IIRC) tubular.

Had them in for a number of years. Cut them out with a Sawzall and haven't regretted it one bit.

Note that I run my car quite hard through some occasionally very bumpy corners (in a competition setting) on bigger, stickier tires (315 Hoosier A6s) than most any car NOT used in competition will ever see.

If there was a performance benefit to SFCs, I'd be running them.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt see anyone say this directly but the Z28 and SS have 98% of the same suspension pieces. The only difference is actually the FRONT swaybar (not both). Z28=30mm front/20mm rear, SS=32mm Front/20mm rear.

SOME SS's came with SLP optioned Bilsteins, but they are few and far between.

Strano sways are on his site, www.stranoparts.com. I believe they run $400 for the set-a huge improvement over stock and better than the "SS" and even the "almighty" WS6 suspension everyone values so much

SFC's are made by a variety of companies including UMI, BMR, Spohn, SLP, MAC, as well as others. Many guys on here run UMI and BMR, they are great products and priced well.

www.bmrfabrication.com
www.umiperformance.com

check out their websites and start doing some reading on all the suspension goodies
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I didnt see anyone say this directly but the Z28 and SS have 98% of the same suspension pieces. The only difference is actually the FRONT swaybar (not both). Z28=30mm front/20mm rear, SS=32mm Front/20mm rear.

SOME SS's came with SLP optioned Bilsteins, but they are few and far between.
Actually I think on the first page someone addressed that and said the only difference in suspension between an SS and Z28 is thicker sway bars. I didn't know that before I started this thread, but I know now. I think the SLP Camaro SS with 345HP pckg came with the bilstein shocks.

At any rate, my Z28 will be riding with those bilstein shocks in a couple of months, very excited about getting those.

Quick Reply: Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?