Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock SS rear sways are 19mm, at least for 2001. The Z is reportedly the same.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my SLP Bilstein's from Sam last month. The difference is night and day. Even my friends have noticed a difference when i'm out joy riding.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
Uhh, this is the first thread I have ever heard of where people are saying SFCs did nothing for them.

I have yet to meet someone with SFCs who didn't think they were worth every penny. The difference in ride quality is dramatic. As far as I know they aren't advertised to help cornering ability, but they sure do make the car feel a lot less sloppy over bumps that a street car encounters daily.

So I guess I'm just imagining it...
What are your shocks? Stock? SFC's seem to make MUCH more of a difference on cars with stock shocks as opposed to cars with good dampening. Someone on here put it best....if your car was being hit with a hammer from the underside would you rather put a piece of metal over the hammer or get rid of the hammer all together? Proper dampening makes all the difference on these cars. Most people who do shocks prior to SFC's don't notice much (if any) difference.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Stock SS rear sways are 19mm, at least for 2001. The Z is reportedly the same.
I believe it's the same for all years.

Also, the shock valving on SS cars (yes, even with stock DeCarbons) is slightly different (and better) than Z28 cars....is it a large difference? No....but there is some difference.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Uhh, this is the first thread I have ever heard of where people are saying SFCs did nothing for them.
You need to search more then. You will often find that when people fix the actual problem that appears to be "chassis flex" (but is not, its lack of shock dampening) that adding SFC's later make little to no difference.
So the shocks are actually working well controlling the suspension rather than letting the car flop around and smack against bumps sending vibrations into the cabin that shouldn't have even made it to the chassis in the first place. Think of a tight, firm, germans sports sedan type of ride quality, thats what good shocks will get you.

I have yet to meet someone with SFCs who didn't think they were worth every penny. The difference in ride quality is dramatic. As far as I know they aren't advertised to help cornering ability, but they sure do make the car feel a lot less sloppy over bumps that a street car encounters daily.

So I guess I'm just imagining it...
Originally Posted by Ironhead
You have now.

I had probably one of the beefiest set of two point SFCs available welded in my car... Global West DOM 2 inch (IIRC) tubular.

Had them in for a number of years. Cut them out with a Sawzall and haven't regretted it one bit.

Note that I run my car quite hard through some occasionally very bumpy corners (in a competition setting) on bigger, stickier tires (315 Hoosier A6s) than most any car NOT used in competition will ever see.

If there was a performance benefit to SFCs, I'd be running them.
That makes two of us.
I added 3 point SFCs and could tell no difference, then again I had konis, strano springs and strano swaybars prior to the install.
So IMO in terms of suspension mods and performance gains from them:
Good shocks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>good swaybars/springs>>>>>wattslinks>>>>>anything else>SFCs
Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Z28 around christmas 08 with 44k on the clock. I did some research on the "weak links" in these cars, then decided what I was going to spend some money on while considering this car was going to be a "nice" daily driver.

The biggest improvement was the bilstein HDs I bought from strano. It rides and handles circles around my mothers stock 02 WS6.

I was also quite pleased, for the money spent, with my 35$ NOS 32mm swaybar and poly bushing/endlink upgrades. Until I can buy some of Strano's bars, this will have to do...

Although SFCs seem to be a contested subject for 4th gens, and coming from a 3rd gen, I went ahead and got some anyways. Tubular LCAs helped stiffen up the rear also...

To round it all off, I am running 275/315 Nitto triple nickels on 17x9 and 17x11 zr1s. They grip nicely, and the menacing 315s out back make me want to eat my neighbor's children everytime I look at them.

Again, for the money, I am very pleased.

Just follow the advice on these boards and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?