Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cant remove rear springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant remove rear springs?

im trying to get my rear springs out to put in a set of stranos. Its been a rocky road but so far i have jacked up the car, unloaded the suspension, and unbolted the shock. Ive tried putting on a set of spring compressors but i cant get the bottom of the spring to clear the mount. The springs are raising springs made for jacking up the rear end for bigger tires. if anyone can help with some advice thatd be great.

also the back springs have drag bags in them so i cant fit an internal springs compressor in.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:28 AM
10 Second Club

I had the same issue getting my springs out to do the heater hose mod, Moser 9" and it's spring seats are a little higher than a 10 bolts.

I had to unbolt the LCA's on each side to get the springs out/in... did it one at a time and it wasn't that bad, just a few extra steps.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the torque arm out? That could be causing you some issues. Or just undo the LCA bolt as mentioned above.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
im trying to get my rear springs out to put in a set of stranos. Its been a rocky road but so far i have jacked up the car, unloaded the suspension, and unbolted the shock. Ive tried putting on a set of spring compressors but I cant get the bottom of the spring to clear the mount. The springs are raising springs made for jacking up the rear end for bigger tires. if anyone can help with some advice that'd be great.

also the back springs have drag bags in them so i cant fit an internal springs compressor in.
Did you try a pry bar, or tire iron to pry them out? Or even a BIG screwdriver, for that matter. Just get under the last coil of the spring and pry up. Thet are springs, they will compress a bit.....
Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weight of the rear diff is supported by something other than the brake line, right?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

finally got it, i ended up getting a second set of compressing tools and once i got the first two compressed i was able to get the other two higher up on the spring and compress it. once i got the top mount off i could slide the spring out... but what a PITA. I put stranos with the heater hose mod on and it looks great. ill be posting pictures later.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Default Sway Bar

Just did this, and mine required removing the sway bar links to let the rear end drop enough for the springs to clear.

Mark.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanna see pics. im pretty sure i want to go with stranos
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

let see those pics.
my rear springs were a little difficult as well just used a big screwdriver and pryed them out while my friend put a little weight on the rear to help them fall out.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Default Who, Me??

Me personally, I didn't take any pictures. It was a pretty straight forward install. After disconnecting the shocks on the top from the body the axle dropped almost enough to get the springs out. I could've pryed them if I wanted, but it was pretty easy to tell something was keeping the axle from dropping further. Once I disconnected the rear sway bar endlinks from the frame the axle basically tetered on my jack. Lowered the jack a bit, tilted one spring out, then the other.

Note: I have rod-ended lower control arms, so there were no binding issues there

Mark.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

these are the springs that were on the car compared to my stranos i just bought, there were also drag bags set up in the rear. you can see they are a few inches higher and proved to be a total pain in the ***.

New tires that went on, they are falkens 315/30/18 and a WD can for comparison

and just two quick ones i snapped. i have a photo shoot with it in a few weeks but i can post up some cell pictures like these if anyone else wants any different angles.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

I also did the heater hose mod on the rear, the fronts havent been installed yet but they will once im back home in a few weeks, its just too damn hot here and it can wait. i ended up driving the car on a road trip back to the lake (little more than 7 hours) and didnt skip a beat. as of now both fenders sit level, once the front springs are on i venture to say itll drop an inch.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Default Wow

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
these are the springs that were on the car compared to my stranos i just bought, there were also drag bags set up in the rear. you can see they are a few inches higher and proved to be a total pain in the ***.
Yeah, I can see why you had issues now. Oh well... lots of suggestions in here for the next guy

Mark.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you remove the swaybar and PHR and then jack up the car by the body so the rear end stays on the ground, the rear springs pretty much fall out of their sockets...at least mine did when I swapped them out. Glad you got them out but dual spring compressor seems a little drastic. Musta been some bigg *** springs...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

All you had to do was remove the swaybar endlinks and disconnect the top shock mounting points and the axle comes right down. The swaybar endlinks were preventing you from letting the axle go down any more.

Quick Reply: cant remove rear springs?