Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with aftermarket Tie Rod Ends!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with aftermarket Tie Rod Ends!

Hello all, I just installed a set of Baer "tracker" tie rods on my 2000 SS vert. I am having problems setting the toe as the inner and outer tie rods are bottoming out (touching each other) before the toe can be adjusted far enough in.

Here are the other parts on the front end:

BMR K member
BMR Upper arms - non-adj.
BMR Lower arms - adj.
HAL Coil Overs

Now My Caster is not within the correct range for these cars, and I will have to remove the Lower A-arms and turn the spherical joint in more to get it within range. Even with it set-up the way it is, it runs great and corners nicely. Only thing is it barely touches the front bumper on heavy turns and has been rubbing the paint off. Gotta fix that.

I just can't understand why I am bottoming these Tie Rods out before I can get the wheels to both be straight.

I would doubt that the adjustment of the lower A-arms (caster) would give me enough play to adjust them properly. But I could be wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that the Spherical end is too long and needs to be shorter.

But then there are guys who install these tie rods with no issues or modifications.

What gives?

Any ideas?

I am by no means an alignment tech, so I could be doing this all wrong. Any help is apreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I decided to just trim some of the inner tie rod down since there's so much extra there.

We'll see how that works out.