Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear brake dilema!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear brake dilema!!!!

Hello !

I installed a 9'' on my 94 camaro,it is a unit that was fabricated long ago to fit on a 85 IROC-Z drag car.The brakes are 2nd or 3rd gen,drivers side caliper is on rear of axle and passenger's is on front of axle,and the pistons seem to be larger.

When we dynoed the car this year(diff has been on car several years now)we noticed that the rear brakes don't work !!!!!!! And I thought I had to pump the pedal because my ABS was no longer functional.

So the question is would a proportioning valve solve my problem of getting more fluid to the rear,or would this just shift my braking to the rear and handicap the front brakes.Or should I find a master cylinder that pushes more fluid to all calipers or a mix of the 2 solutions described above.

I would really like to have rear brakes since I trap near 118 MPH !!

Thank you !!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its too hard to diagnose over the computer. There could be a lot of issues.

I would first see if pushing on the brakes even activates the rear calipers.

If its not activating, id re-bleed them see if you can get them to activate. if thats not working pull off the calipers and see if pressing the brake compresses the pistons. If its not, the pistons are probably stuck. Calipers could be no good.

If it does activate, but its not catching. Id re-bleed them and see if you can get it to contact. If its not contacting, id pull the caliper and see if the piston is restricted in any way, you could press the brake and compress it, then push the piston back in and work it a few times. It might come back.

If the lines arent bleeding, then theres something wrong with the line itself... or the abs unit. Follow the lines and see if it got kinked anywhere. You could try replacing the abs module with a proporting valve. That will preobably fix it assuming the lines are good and clear.

im no brake expert, but thats what i would do. Hope that helps man.