Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chipped rotor...no good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chipped rotor...no good?

I just unwrapped one of my new front rotors to paint it, and while I was prepping it I noticed there's a chip in the edge of it.

It's on the inside edge of the backside of the rotor, and it's about the same width as the space between the vents, extending down about half the thickness of the rotor face.

Is this okay to use, or do I need to return it? I'm worried about it being off balance and causing a vibe.

I was going to post pics, but I can't seem to get them to load into my camera.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't use it, not with the "chip" extending that far down into the face. If it were just on the edge then maybe.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it is on the edge, you can't see it by looking at the machined surface of the rotor.

What I mean by the thickness of the rotor face is if you were looking straight down at the fins, and you have the flat, machined surface on either side of the fins that the pads contact, and that machined surface was 1/4" in thick, the chip is about 1/8" into that thickness, stopping before it gets to the machined part.

I don't care about the looks, nobody is going to see it, I just don't know if that's enough to cause an imbalance as it spins. I just want to get this put together, I hate to have to go through the trouble of shipping it back and waiting for a new one.

I'll have to get in touch w/Brakemotive on this.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post a picture. is it a chip or a crack? does the crack go all the way through, or just on the face? if you run a finger nail over it does it catch/snag?

Quick Reply: Chipped rotor...no good?