Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Types of 4-Link Suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Types of 4-Link Suspensions

We have decided to go get rid of the leaf springs on the 69 Camaro and go with a 4-link setup. I've never examined one up close or installed one before.

I've seen "4-link" and "4-bar" systems. It looks like the 4 bar systems have equal length links while the 4 links are unequal. I understand unequal lengths are more desirable for wheel hop. This car won't be thrashed at the track, so the absolute best performance isn't necessary. Or is it?

Also, tire clearance is tight, width-wise, so I'm not too crazy on using a panhard bar. We really can't afford any side-to-side movement during suspension travel. Are there triangulated 4 links out there?

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get started on my rear suspension education, that would be great!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

you'll get more info on pro-touring.com or lateral-g.net. Detroit Speed, Art Morrison, and some others make triangulated 4 links for your car. They can feed you all sorts of information, and get you set up with a solution to meet your goals.

BMR makes a torque arm suspension for your car, and DSE & AME make three links, but you stated you want to avoid a separate locating link.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you given thought to using a torque arm styyle suspension on your first gen f-body? What kind of driving are you mostly doing with the car? We have designed a bad *** torque arm suspension for your particular year car that is really nice and works really well. It is relatively easy to install without having to cut you car all up. Here is a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails Types of 4-Link Suspensions-tas001r.jpg   Types of 4-Link Suspensions-tas001r_2.jpg   Types of 4-Link Suspensions-img_8185_medium.jpg   Types of 4-Link Suspensions-img_8183_medium.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Types of 4-Link Suspensions